Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 89. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P

No. 89.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P.

Sir,—

Government House, Auckland, 27th October,.1864.

I have the honour to transmit, for your information, the copy of, a Proclamation I yesterday issued, in which, in conformity with your instructions, as contained in your Despatch No. 43, of the 26th of April last, I notified to those tribes and persons who had been engaged in the present unhappy rebellion that Her Majesty's clemency would be extended to all those who would come in on or before the 10th day of December next, take the oath of allegiance, and make the cession of such territory as might be in each instance fixed by the Governor and Lieutenant-General.

• 2. You will find from my correspondence with my Responsible Advisers, copies of which are enclosed (see memorandum of 10th instant), that I undertook that care should be exercised to take any cessions of land in a manner which should unequivocally exhibit the Natives who made them in the position of defeated rebels, and, further, that no arrangement for the cession of any land should be concluded until the advice tendered by my Responsible Advisers had been fully considered.
  • 3. None of my Responsible Advisers, however, countersigned the Proclamation. I nevertheless deemed it to be my duty to issue it. It is in strict conformity with your instructions, and I consulted Sir D. Cameron and Commodore Sir W. Wiseman, and they both concurred with me in, thinking that the Proclamation was a wise and proper one, and that it was my duty to issue it, and that, the great matter for regret was that, from the obstacles thrown in my way, its issue had been so long delayed.

The Right Hon. Edward Cardwell, M.P., &c.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.