Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Gore Beowne to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Gore Beowne to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

On the Establishment of a Native Council. Government House, Auckland, N.Z., 4th February, 1861.

My Lord. Duke,—

As a part of the scheme for a, Native Council; I assumed that the member's would associate with themselves three or four Native chiefs of the, highest rank, for the, sake of the influence they would bring, as well as for, their advice. Two out of the three gentlemen whose, names, I submitted to your Grace for, appointment in the Council entertain the same views; the third (Colonel Nugent) being, in England.

Looking, therefore, to the future, as well as to the present, it occurred to me that it would be advantageous to seek the advice of three or four Native chiefs now; and, by consulting Messrs Bell and McLean, I felt that I could do so without interfering with any future/arrangements they might desire to make. I accordingly submitted the question to these, gentlemen, and Mr. Smith (the very able Assistant Native Secretary,), and I have now the honour to forward for your Grace's information reports made by these officers separately, and a minute by my Responsible Advisers.

I trouble your Grace with these documents partly on account of the information they contain, and partly because they exhibit some of the many difficulties which surround every attempt to introduce improvements in the management of Native affairs.

I have, &c.,

T.Gore. Brown

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, &c.