Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 30. — Copy of a Despatch from Lieutenant-Governor Grey to Lord Stanley

No. 30.
Copy of a Despatch from Lieutenant-Governor Grey to Lord Stanley.

Bay of Islands.'Enrolment of Native Corps.

My Lord,—

Government House, Auckland, 11th December 1845.

In the despatch which your Lordship addressed to me upon the 13th June last (no. 1), I was informed that no discussion had hitherto taken place upon the possibility of embodying-a local force in which the aborigines of New Zealand might serve jointly with others, but that your Lordship could not finally abandon the idea of the enrolment of such a force, without full proof that the adoption of it would be either impossible or unwise I now beg to state that the knowledge I have up to this period obtained of the nature of this country and of its inhabitants leads me to believe that if it should be found possible to embody such a force as is alluded to by your Lordship a large expenditure of British money would be annually saved, and that a far smaller proportion of British troops would suffice to hold this country. I find that those persons best informed on these subjects, with whom I have conversed, all agree with these views, and the only doubt which exists as to the practicability of the scheme arises from the volatile and independent character of the New Zealanders.

Upon the whole, however, I have thought that the plan ought to be fairly tried, and that an attempt should be made to embody a force somewhat analogous to the Rifle Corps of Ceylon; and as I found that Colonel Despard, who is in command of the forces of this colony, took the same view of the subject that I did, and that he was disposed to render me every assistance in establishing such a corps, and in selecting an intelligent officer to command it, I authorized him, in a letter a copy of which I have the honour to enclose, to organize a Native corps, consisting of sixty men, who were to be employed under a British officer in the operations now carrying on. No more favourable opportunity than the present could have presented itself for trying this experiment, as there are now with the troops many active young Natives who have already for several months co-operated with the British forces.

Your Lordship will perceive that I have authorized the issue of a ration daily to the men who may serve in this corps, in addition to their pay, which is to be at the rate of 10s per month for each man; whilst any young chiefs who may serve as non-commissioned officers will receive such extra pay as Colonel Despard may think necessary and proper.

Your Lordship will observe that the men composing this corps will be required in the first instance to provide their own arms and clothing. The reason of my enforcing this regulation was that the New Zealanders are generally better armed than our, own troops, their usual weapon being a double-barrelled gun. Moreover, did I find them in arms, sixty additional guns would at once be thrown into the hands of the Natives; and, if any desertions took place, the men who deserted would carry off the arms with which we had supplied them.

I will not fail to keep your Lordship fully informed of the degree of success with which this experiment may be attended.

Ihave, &c.,

G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Lord Stanley, &c.