Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 28. — His Excellency the Governor to Parore, Kaipara

No. 28.
His Excellency the Governor to Parore, Kaipara.

Kaipara.The Governor's Departure to England

My good friend Parore,—

Government House, Auckland, 10th November 1845.

I salute you. Your letter has been read by me which was dated the 14th October, and I have been waiting to answer it. It is correct respecting my going to England Many falsehoods have been uttered by some people respecting these Islands, and also respecting the people of these Islands. They have also uttered many falsehoods respecting myself, but before long I shall be able to tell the truth. Although Europeans may speak wickedly, the Queen and the Governor will be the friends of you all. It is well that I should go quickly to England, in order that I should make known the whole truth, for we cannot say much by letter.

To be succeeded by His Excellency Governor Grey.

I have been reflecting about the Governor who is coining hither. He is a good man. His work towards the Natives will be that of kindness, protection, and justice. His name is Grey. I shall tell him of your quiet, friendly disposition. I shall be your friend in England as I have been your friend here, and shall make known what is true on the other side of the sea. Perhaps I shall sail in January.

From your friend,

R. F.,
Governor.

To Parore, Kaipara.