Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosures. — (No. 1.) — The Rev. Robert Maunsell, B.A., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

Enclosures.
(No. 1.)
The Rev. Robert Maunsell, B.A., to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Waikato Heads, 14th April, 1840.

Sir,—

You will, I trust, receive with this the document lately forwarded to me to have the signatures of the principal men in Waikato attached to it.

I am happy to inform you that the signatures obtained comprise those of the leading men, excepting perhaps two. Those we hope soon to obtain, and I have already forwarded on to Messrs. Wallis and Whiteley the document left me by Captain Symonds, in order that they may obtain as many more names as they deem expedient. You will learn from Captain Symonds the particulars connected with the distribution of blankets, which we were unavoidably obliged to hasten, as most of the chiefs had come from a considerable distance. To this step also we were compelled by intelligence having reached them after they had signed their names that they were entitled to a blanket on signing—intelligence that would have placed us in a rather awkward situation if it had not been for the timely arrival of your letter to Captain Symonds.

In forwarding the accompanying document, I would beg to observe, in reference to ourselves, that, cordially as we desire to co-operate with Governor Hobson in all measures consistent with our principles, we cannot but state that we feel strongly the responsibility in the eyes of the Natives by the steps we are now adopting. I would beg, therefore, with all deference, to add that, having put ourselves thus prominently forward in obtaining an acknowledgment of the sovereign power of the Queen on the part of the Natives, so we trust that that acknowledgment will never be made, even apparently, the basis of any measure that may hereafter result in their prejudice. The steps we have taken have been taken in full dependence on the well-known lenity and honour of the British Government, and we rest assured that we shall never hereafter find ourselves to have been in these particulars mistaken.

I remain, &c.,

R. Maunsell.