Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Gipps to Lord John Russell

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Gipps to Lord John Russell.

Bay of Islands.Report of Proceedings of Major Bunbury, in H.M.S. "Herald." Government House, Sydney, 24th July, 1840.

My Lord,—

With reference to my despatch of the 15th June last, in which I reported that Her Majesty's ship "Herald," having on board Major Bunbury, had sailed from the Bay of Islands for the purpose of procuring the acknowledgment of Her Majesty's authority from the chiefs in the southern parts of New Zealand, I have the honour to inform your Lordship that the "Herald" returned to Sydney this day, and that the duty on which Major Bunbury was despatched by Lieutenant-Governor Hobson appears to have, been very satisfactorily performed. Every point, of importance on the east coast of New Zealand was visited by the "Herald," as far as the southern point of the Southern or Stewart's Island, and Her Majesty's authority established, either by the acknowledgment of the chiefs, or (in the Middle and Southern Islands) by declaration on the right of discovery. The "Herald" afterwards visited Port Nicholson, where everything was perfectly quiet, the agent of the Company having made full submission to Mr. Shortland, the Magistrate who had been sent to Port Nicholson by Lieutenant-Governor, Hobson. The "Herald" touched at the Bay of Islands on her return from Port Nicholson, and landed Major Bunbury.

I enclose herewith a copy of a letter addressed by Major Bunbury to my Private Secretary, which will explain to your Lordship why I am unable by the present opportunity to forward any, official account of his proceedings.

French Settlement at Akaroa.

One of the places visited by the "Herald "was Banks Peninsula, the spot at which it has been said that a settlement is about to be made by a company formed in France: of this company, however, or of any of its proceedings, I know nothing, save what I have derived from English newspapers. The French discovery ships "Astrolabe" and "Zéléé" had been at Banks Peninsula, but made no indications of forming a settlement there.

I have, &c.,

Geo. Gipps.