Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 99. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen

page 105

No. 99.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen

The Queen's Maori Godson to be properly educated. Downing Street, 18th August, 1870.

Sir,—

Adverting to your despatch marked "Separate," of the 6th April, 1868, respecting Albert Victor Pomare, the child of a Maori chief born in England, I have the honour to inform you that the Queen has expressed a wish that a proper education should be given to the child. With this view Her Majesty is prepared to pay a reasonable sum annually, say for the next five years, in order to have the child educated for the class of life to which' he belongs. Her Majesty is desirous that this should be done under your own direction, rather than at the discretion of any other person in the colony.

I request that you will give effect to the Queen's wishes, and will report what sum would be necessary for the education of the child.

I have, &c.,

Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.Kimbebley.