Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

I, Francis Edwards Hamlin, of Clive, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Settler, do absolutely and solemnly declare,—

1.I am well acquainted with the Maori language.
2.The translation of the within-written Deed, which is attached to this Deed, was made by me, and is in my handwriting, and the translation is correct.
3.I am acquainted with Hone te Wharemako, Karauria tama i Whakakitea te Rangi, Enoka te Rua, Rawenata Taui, Era te Whakaruamoko, Pene te Puna, and Hira Pirika, aboriginal natives within mentioned, and was present with them on the tenth day of November last, when I carefully read over to the said above-named aboriginal natives the translation of the within Deed, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them previous to its execution.
4.The said Deed was executed by the said Hone te Wharemako, Karauria tama i Whakakitea te Rangi, Enoka te Rua, Rawenata Taui, Eru te Whakaruamoko, Pene te Puna, and Hira Pirika, in the presence of myself, Samuel Locke and Henry Robert Russell, Esquires, Justices of the Peace, who subscribed our names as the witnesses attesting the execution thereof.
5.I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Native Lands Act, 1865."

F. E. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, this third day of December, 1866. Before me—

S. Locke, J.P., Colony of New Zealand.