Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 109.]

Deeds—No. 109.

Part Block No. 1 (West Side of Lake), Wairarapa District.

Tenei pukapuka1853. 14 December.Wairarapa District. tuku whenua e tuhituhia nei i tenei ra i tekau ma wha 14 o nga ra o Tihema i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e waru rau e rima tekau ma toru 1853. HeWest Side Of Lake.(Part Block No. 1.) pukapuka tino wakaae pono na matou mo matou mo o matou whanaunga kia tukua rawatia tetahi wahi o to matou kainga ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
NgaBoundaries. rohe o te whenua ka timata ki te Ngutuawa o Ponui rere tonu ki Wharetukua rere tonu i runga i te rohe kua hokona ki a te Kuini piki noa ki te poho-o-Tararua ka ahu i runga i te hiwi puta noa ki te Kauru o Manganui o wha puta noa ki Pukaiaia ka ahu mai ki runga i te rohe kua hokona i mua puta noa ki roto ki Ruamahanga tutaki noa ki te Ngutuawa o Ponui, Heoi ko te wahi katoa i wakatapua e matou i te tukunga o te whenua ki a te Kuini i mua. Ko nga utu katoa mo taua wahi E wha nga rauFive per cents to be paid. pauna takitahi £400 me nga koha ano ki te ritenga o nga koha mo te wahi o aua whenua kua hokona. E rua rau £200 o aua moni kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra na teReceipt for £200. Makarini i homai. E rua rau takitahi £200 ko te utu wakamutunga ka homai ki a matou i nga ra o Mei 1854. Heoi ko te otinga tenei o nga tikanga mo tenei whenua ake tonu atu No kona ka tuhia iho o matou ingoa.

Na Wiremu Tamihana Hiko.
Na Raniera te Iho.

Nga kai titiro ki enei homaitanga utu me enei tuhinga ingoa—

W. M. Smith, J.P., Government Surveyor.
John P. Russell, Settler, Wangai Moana, Wairarapa.
Manihera, J.P., Wairarapa.

Translation.

This Deed1853. 14 December.Wairarapa District. which we have signed on this 14th of December 1853 is a Deed by which we faithfully surrender on our own behalf and on behalf of our Relatives and Descendants a portion of our land to Victoria The Queen of England and to Her Successors for ever.
The Boundaries commence at the mouth of the River Ponui, from thence toWesst Side of Lake.(Part Block No. 1.) Wharetukua, following the boundary of the land which has been sold to The Queen, ascending the hill called Tararua at its largest part, it then follows the ridge until it page 291reaches the source of the Manganui-o-wha, from thence to Pukaiaia it then cornea along the boundary which has already been sold to theBoundaries. Queen at Ruamahanga and from thence until it joins the mouth of the River Ponui, the whole of the land which we reserved when formerly the sale of the land took place to the Queen. The Payment which we are to receive for this land is £400, and the 5 pr. cent which has been allowed to the other Sellers of the lands in Wairarapa. We have this day received £200 from Mr. McLeanFive per cents to be paid. as part of the payment. The remaining £200 being the last Instalment we are to receive in the month of May 1854. And this being the perfecting of these ourReceipt for £200, first instalment. arrangements we have herewith signed our names.

(Signed) Na Wiremu Tamihana Hiko.
Na Raniera te Iho.

Witnesses—

(Signed)W. M. Smith, J.P., Government Surveyor.
John P. Russell,

Settler, Wangai-Moana, Wairarapa.

Manihera, J.P., Wairarapa.

True Translation.

H. T. Kemp.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 31st, 1876.