Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deed Receipts—No. 72.]

page 746

Deed Receipts—No. 72.

Waitairi Block, Tirikohua, Manukau District.

1855. 11 August.Manukau District.Kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra i te tekau ma tahi (11) o nga ra o Akuhata i te tau Waitairi. o to tatou Ariki 1855 nga pauna moni kotahi rau e rima tekau (£150) hei utu mo to Receipt for £150. matou wahi whenua ki Waitairi ki te taha o te rohe kua hokona e matou ki a Kuini te Boundaries. rohe ki te wakarua puta noa ki te taha wakatetongaki te awa o Waitairi te tutakitanga ki raro o Waitairi ko Parakaha rere noa i roto o taua wai ki Piraunui heoi ka tutaki nga rohe i kona.

Ko taua wahi ka hoatu nei e matou hei utu mo etahi moni kia riro mai ki a matou mo to matou tino whakarerenga rawatanga i te whenua kua hokona ki a te Kuini ki Tirikohua ki Purahukura ki te Wakapipi ki Ngapohoe otira ki aua whenua katoa i whakapakeketia e matou imua ki nga pakeha ko aua whenua ka tino whakarerea ponotia e matou i tenei ra e whiti nei Ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani ake tonu atu. Ekore rawa matou e tuku atu i tetahi tangata kia rere ki runga i aua whenua mate noa matou. A mo te rironga mai o enei moni ki a matou mo te whakaaetanga pono ki enei korero i tenei ra e whiti nei ka tuhituhia iho o matou ingoa me o matou tohu.

Haimona. te Rangiuerahis mark x.
Na pikiho tearo.
na hami.
Te retimaka te mania.

Kai titiro ki enei homaitanga utu me enei tuhuinga ingoa—

John White, Interpreter.
William B. Baker, Clerk, Land Purchase Department.

Translation.

1855. 11 August.Manukau District.We have beceived on this eleventh day of August in the year of our Lord (1855) eighteen hundred and fifty five the sum of one hundred and fifty (150£) as a payment for the lands at Waitairi by the boundary of the Land which we formerly sold to the Waitairi. Queen of England that is the boundary on the North running to the South meeting at Receipt for £150. Te Waitiri and beyond Waitiri Parakaha thence in the course of that stream to Piraunui Boundaries. where the boundaries meet This land we give up in consideration of certain monies given to us entirely to surrender our claims to the land sold to the Queen of England at Tirikohua at Purahokura at Wakapipi, at Ngapohoe that is to all the land which we disputed with the Europeans those lands we now truly give up under the shining sun of this day to Victoria the Queen of England for ever and ever. We will not permit any person to raise any claim to these lands during our life time and in testimony of the receipt of these monies and our solemn consent to these conditions under the shining sun of this day we hereunto affix our names and marks.

Haimona te Rangiuera his mark x.
Na Pikiho tearo.
Na Hami.
Te Retimana Te Mania.

Witnesses to these signatures and payments—

John White, Interpreter.
William B. Baker, 1st Clerk, L.P.D.

True Copy.

Donald McLean,
Land Purchase Department.

A True Copy of Original Receipt and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 10th, 1876.