Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

This is a consent from me from Te Katipa to Mr. McLean, Land purchase commissioner 1855. 8 August. for the New Zealand Government. Te Katipa te Awarahi agrees entirely to Whangarei District. give up the land named Kaimaria; Pukemore, Horahora Manawanui, Tokamoki, Wharenga, these being the general names of the land. The boundaries commence at Pane’s fence, thence Hikurangi. to the hill of Horahora turning thence it turns to Manuanui thence turning along the sea thence to Tohamoki, thence to Wharenga thence to the stream of Te Katipa’s Claims. Kaimaria crossing which it proceeds onwards till it joins Pane’s fence. The consideration Boundaries. to Te Katipa for his claims to this land is £60 sixty pounds these monies are for his claims alone those for Te Kepa being altogether separate. The sum of £60 has this day been received from Mr. McLean on this 8th day of August One thousand Receipt for £60. eight hundred and fifty five. I will not permit any other person to prefer a claim to this land because I have rightly disposed of this land to the Queen of England for ever under the sun now shining. Eighty acres are to be reserved at Wharenga for Te Katipa’s Reserve for Katipa’s children. [80 acres.] children as a place on which to light their fires being the portion which has been surveyed by the European.

Witnesses—

Signed John White, Interpreter, L.P.D.
Signed William B. Baker, Clerk, Land P. Dept.
Signed Katipa.