1854. 11 November.Manukau District.This Deed conveying land, written on this eleventh (11th)
day of November in the year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and fifty
four (1854) is a paper of the full consent of us, the Chiefs and all the
people of these tribes; Ngatitipa Ngatitamaoho, Whakaupoko. te Uriotapu, te Akitai, Ngatipare, Ngatiwhatua, of Waikato; that is,
of all the people entirely; to give up their land at Waiuku, te Whakaupoko to
Victoria the Queen of England or to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her
for ever and ever:—And these tribes likewise;—te Maungaunga, Ngatirangi and te
The Boundaries of the Land.
Boundaries. Commencing on the east; at Awhitu, at the Whatapaka stream, thence to
Paraheka, Tutaia at the dry tree, Ngauipu, Takaraho, te Taumata, Wharekanapa,
te Rotokohu, te Rimuroa, te Taurapa, Matawainui, Matawaiiti, te Umuponga, te
Mauku, te Iaroa; these boundaries are on the Waikato river.
On the South; at te Rore o Mauahiahi, te Mauku, Turourou, Ngateke,
Kohikohiwi, Kahaka, Moturoa te Awa Koromiko, Mangatiu, te Kopumore, te Uku,
Paiaka, Otutarere, te Ngaio.
On the West; at Awaroa, Kahumauroa, Otiao Mangati, Kotikotia, to Ahukaramu,
te Pouohuiarangi, Purapura te Awa-o-tuitahi, being the boundary of Dalziel's
purchase and along that boundary till it falls into the Waiuku river; the
river being the boundary to Ohurua, te Whaiomatakino, Okoheko, Kaiarara,
On the North; at Waiau, and along the banks of Waiau to the north side of the
Whatapaka river, and in the course of that river to Awhitu where the
The Portions reserved for ourselves.
Reserves: 1. Puhitahi. The first; Puhitahi.—The boundaries are; on the East, Pukewhau,
thence, across the Puhitahi stream, to te Kauri: on the south, te Kauri,
thence to Puonetea, thence to te Uapata, turning thence to Wairurua, this
being the northern boundary, thence to Pukewhau; where the boundaries meet.
2. Patumahoe. The second; Patumahoe.—The eastern boundary commences at Mataraua,
thence to Takaraho; thence, turning in a southerly direction, to Tapuikaretu;
thence, in a westerly direction to Karengahuanui turning thence to
Whakapae-o-te-Kauri, turning thence to Otonga, turning thence, for the
northern boundary, to Kiriotu, to Hunuhununga, to Puketoa, to Mataraua, where
the boundaries meet.
3. Titi. The Third; Titi.—The boundary on the west commences at the two pits,
which have been dug on Rangiwhakairinga, thence in a direct line to the single
Koroi tree by the wood at the swamp: Turning thence, for the northern
boundary, it passes through the swamp and ascends to the grove of Manuka trees
in the hollow of Titi; turning thence to the eastward, it proceeds to the dry
Puriri tree at te Hiwi-o-Rangiwhakairinga, thence turning in a southerly
direction to the two pits which have been dug on Rangiwhakairinga where the
4. Aongaonga. The Fourth; The boundary on the East commences at Ngateke, this
boundary is on the Waikato river: thence inland to Huihui, thence to
Pukekowhai, thence descending to the swamp, the edge of the swamp being the
boundary on the North side proceeding thence along the swamp it turns to
Punganui, forming the West boundary to te Mataa where it turns and proceeds
until it falls in the Waikato river, at Kohikokiwi thence in the Waikato
river, to Ngateke, where the boundaries meet. Te Purapura and te Anaunga are
the names of this reserve.
5. Akaaka. The fifth; Te Akaaka.—The boundary on the South commences at Nihi
nihi, thence in the Waikato river to Kopumore, where it turns inland to
Tangatarua, this being the western boundary; thence turning to Kauaetaia and
Wharaurangi, this being the northern boundary; thence turning to Nihinihi,
where the boundaries meet, this being the eastern boundary.
6. Tokatiraha. The sixth.—The boundary commences at the corner of Codling's fence,
that being the boundary on the west, thence to te Karaka, turning thence it
runs along the bank of the Tokatiraha stream, and in the corner of that stream
to the side of the wood, this being the north boundary; turning thence to
Oparii, turning a little thence it proceeds onward and joins the corner of
Codling's fence at Kumikumi, this is the eastern boundary; the southern
boundary is formed by the north side of Codling's fence.
The seventh:—Purapura, on the Awaroa. The boundary on the south
commences at the Whakanu stream, thence in a northerly direction eight (8)
chains twenty two (22) page 335
which is the eastern boundary; turning thence, in the direction of the Awaroa
two (2) chains forty (40) links which is the northern boundary; the western
boundary is the fresh water stream of the Awaroa, and joining to Whakanu,
where the boundaries meet. Now we have entirely given up this land, contained
within these boundaries, to the Queen of England; that is, to the Government
of New Zealand, as a lasting possession with its woods, minerals, waters, and
all thereunto appertaining, all above, and all below the surface of this land.
There shall be no future arrangements made for any portions of the lands which
were not satisfactorily completed at any previous negotiation for land: this
is the last and final settlement.
Now we have this day received from the hands of Mr. Kemp, a Government Land
Receipt for £1,500. Commissioner, the Sum of One thousand five hundred Pounds £1,500 . 0 .
0. This is the final payment, and the land has for ever been transferred to
the Europeans. The portions which have been marked off for us are those which
have been reserved for our own use, these were perambulated by Mr. White and
And, on the receipt of these monies, we hereunto affix our names and marks.
For D. McLean,
(Signed) H. T. Kemp, Native Secretary.
E Rueti Kukutai.
Hakopa Iwitaia x.
Wiremu te Hira Huhu x.
Paora te Iwi x.
te Kepa te
Wetere Kauae x.
Pepene te Tihi
Hoani te Ngaru x.
Iraia te Au x.
Hone te Mahu
Wiremu Wata Hana x.
Paratene te Kakare x.
Mohi te Ahiatengu x.
Epiha Putara x.
Wetere Korewha x.
Reihana te rewai.
(Sd.) C. L. Nugent, Native Secretary.
" W. Gisborne, C.C. Lands.
" Archd. A.
MacInnes, Clerk, N.L.P. Dept.
" John White,
Memo.—"Aihipene Kaihau" promised to sign this Deed in presence of Major
Nugent, Mr. White and myself, having agreed thereto.
(Signed) H. T. Kemp.
A true translation.
Donald McLean, Chief
25th March, 1856.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.
September 11th, 1874.