Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 266.]

page 323

Deeds—No. 266.

Islands of Paraurekau, Waikirihinau, and Orewa, in Papakura Creek, Manukau District.

Ko te tuhituhinga o tenei pukapuka i te tekau ma rima 1853. 15 June.Manukau District. o nga ra o Hunu i te tau Islands in Papakura creek. kotahi mano waru rau e rima tekau ma toru te whakaaetanga o matou nga Rangatira o Nga Tipare te whakaaetanga ano hoki o te Kuini o Ingarani mona, na ko matou ko te Pepene te Tihi, ko Hunia Waikeri, ko Ihaka Takainini nga tangata i te kainga e tuhituhia nei ki tenei pukapuka, na ka whakaae nei matou ki te hoko i nga motu i papakura, tokotoru tahi ki a Kuini Victoria hei utu mo nga moni e rua tekau ma rima pauna, ko nga ingoa koia enei, ko Paraurekau ko Waikirihinau ko Orona, kua homai nei nga moni ki a matou nokonei ka hoatu nei, ka tuku atu nei ki a Victoria te Kuini o Ingarani, ki te Kingi, Kuini ranei o muri i a ia ake, ake, ake, i enei moutere me nga aha noa iho, aha noa iho o enei moutere, ko ona rohe koia enei pau katoa te tua whenua, otia kihai te Portions reserved. moana i riro te wahi e ngaro ana i te tai, kua tuhituhia te ahua o enei moutere ki tua nei. Tirohia.

O matou ingoa—

Pepene.
Hunia.
Ihaka Taka anini.

I te aroaro o—

John White, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair, Junior.

Kua riro mai i a matou nga pauna e rua tekau ma rima kua tuhituhia nei kiReceipt for £25. roto ki tenei pukapuka; Koia matou ka tuhituhi nei i o matou ingoa i tenei ra i te tekau ma rima o nga ra o Hunu i te tau o to tatou Ariki, kotahi mano waru rau e rima tekau ma toru.

Pepene.
Hunia.
Ihaka Taka anini.

I te aroaro o—

John White, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair, Junior.

Translation.

The Writing of this is on the fifteenth day of June in the year of our Lord One 1853. 15 June.Islands in Papakura Creek. thousand eight hundred and fifty three, The agreement us the Chiefs of the Nga Tipare also the agreement of the Queen of England for herself, Now we Pepene, Tetihi and Hunia Waikere also Ihaka. Takanini the owners of the land specified in this Deed consent to sell those islands situated in the Papakura River three in number to Queen Victoria for the sum of twenty five pounds. The names are "Paraurekau," "Waikirihinau"
1.Paraurekau.
2.Waikirihinau.
3.Orewa.
and "Orewa," we have now received the money for which we give and let to Victoria the Queen of England and Kings and Queens after her for ever and ever these islands and whatsoever they contain. The boundaries are (as follows) these, all the dry land down to high Water mark the parts which the tide covers is not sold. * A sketch Portions reserved. of those islands is on the other side.

See our names—

(Sd.) Pepene.
Hunia.
Ihaka Takanini.

Signed in the presence of—

(Sd.) John White, Interpreter.
" Andrew Sinclair, Junr.

We have received twenty five pounds the money written in this agreement henceReceipt for £25. our writing our names on this day the fifteenth of June in the year one thousand eight hundred and fifty three.

See our names—

(Sd.) Pepene.
Hunia.
Ihaka Takanini.

Signed in the presence of—

" Andrew Sinclair, Junr.

True translation.

Ch. W. Ligar,

16 June, /53.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 14th, 1874.

* Note.—The natives insisted on this being specified, intending thereby to retain the right of putting down the stakes for their nets when fishing.