Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1848. 19 August.Manukau District.This Deed written on the nineteenth day of August in the year one thousand eight hundred and forty eight is an Agreement between me a Chief of Ngatiwhatua and the Queen of England on her own behalf whereby William Davis a Chief of the Ngatiwhatua Nihotupu. the Owner of the land described in this Deed agrees on behalf of himself and his tribe to sell this land to Queen Victoria in consideration of the sum of two pounds now given to him the said chief, on which account is given and delivered over to Victoria Queen of England and to her successors for ever that before mentioned land being part of Nihotupu with all thereto belonging, its boundaries are follows.
page 317
It commences at the North at the river of Nihotupu at a place marked by a hole dug, and goes thence to another place marked similarly, this is the Western boundary; thence to Puketutu which is the Southern boundary; thence to Ngamoko to the river, Boundaries. this is the Eastern boundary which is cut; the Plan of the land is described on the other side of this.

Witness my name and mark—

(Signed)William Davis.
"Patutai.

Name of this man signed in the presence of—

(Sd.) Edwin Fairburn.
(Sd.) James Baber.

I have received the sum of money mentioned within this Deed namely two pounds,Receipt for £2. wherefore I sign my name on this nineteenth day of August in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty eight.

(Signed)William Davis.
"Patutai.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) Edwin Fairburn.
(Sd.) James Baber.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, July 7th, 1875.