Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 239.]

Deeds—No. 239.

Rangitawhiri Block, Great Barrier Island, Auckland District.

1854. 26 August.Auckland District.Ko matou e mau ake nei nga ingoa e tino whakaae ana kia hokoa atu kia tukua atu kia oti rawa atu ki a te Kuini o Irgarangi tuku iho ki nga Kingi me nga Kuini i muri i a Rancitawhiri Great Barrier Island. ia to matou whenua e takoto ana i te pito whakarunga o te motuo Aotea ko te ingoa nui o taua wahi ko Rangitawiri E whakaae ana matou kia riro atu nga rakau nga wai nga kohatu me nga mea katoa o taua whenua a ka whakaotia rawatia atu taua whenua me nga wahi tapu katoa me nga mea katoa atu o rung o raro mo nga moni e rua rau Boundaries. erua tekau na me riro mai ki o matou ringaringa i tenei takiwa kotahi rau erua tekau pauna a kia pahure nga marama kotahi tekau ma rua ka riro mai ki a matou nga toenga kotahi rau. Ko nga kaha o tenei whenua koia enei:—ka timata i Tokakuku i te tai marangai ka rere i roto i taua awa eke noa-ki te Wharau tae noa ki ta te Waka Kaha ko te Karamu te ingoa, haere tonu mai i reira ka wahia te tihi o te Ahumata marere noa ki tatahi ki Raihoa haere tonu i te paenga tai tuhono noa ki te timatanga ki Tokakuku kei roto kei enei kaha nga wahi i tukua kia Apakarame i mua, a, ko nga mea i mahue i te utunga o mua kua riro mai i a matou i tenei ra E whakaae tika ana matou ki enei korero no konei ka tuhia o matou ingoa me nga tohu i tenei ra o Akuhata te rua tekau ma ono i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano waru rau rima tekau ma wha.

Hunga Titiro—

C. O. Davis, Interpreter,

Auckland.Receipt for £120, first instalment. Kua riro mai i a matou i runga i nga ringaringa o te Makarini raua ko te Kepa hei utu mo te whenua ka oti te whakahaere nga kaha i roto i tenei pukapuka kotahi rau e rua tekau pauna ko te utu matamua tenei. Akarana, Akuhata 29, 1854.

Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. Himiona Purau.
Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. te Ngahohe.
Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. Hakopa Wakarewa x.
Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. Patumoana.
Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. Natanahira.
Te Matewaru tribe living at Coromandel. Hohepa purehu x tarakihi.
Taimona te Kakari.
Hemi Mano.
Meri Wahapuku x.
Ko te ingoa o Paora te Putu na
Himiona i tuhituhi.

Hunga Titiro—

C. O. Davis, Interpreter.
Archd. A. MacInnes, Clerk N. Land Purchase Dept.
John P. Russell, Settler, Wairarapa.
John Grant Johnson, Dist. L. Commr.
H. T. Kemp, J.P.

page 297

Translation.

We the undersigned hereby agree to sell, make over and give up for ever to the 1854. 26 August.Auckland District. Queen of England and her successors the Kings and Queens of England our land being the Southern portion of the Barrier Island by name Rangitawhiri We agree to give up all timber streams minerals and other appurtenances and we hereby altogether Rancitawhiri, Great Barrier. relinquish our claims to this land its tapued places and to everything thereupon or beneath the surface in consideration of the sum of two hundred and twenty pounds, one hundred and twenty of which we receive now and the remaining hundred to be paid in twelve months from this date. The boundaries of this land are as follows commencing Boundaries. at Tokakuku on the eastern side of the Island and running through the stream of the same name to Te Wharau and thence to Waka's boundary line named Te Karamu thence to the summit of the mountain called te Ahumata and thence to a place named Raihoa in the waters of the Sea and continuing the line of coast till it adjoins Tokakuku. The claims of Mr. Abercrombie are included in these boundaries and the balance due on account of these claims we now receive from the Government. We fully agree to the matter embodied in this document In token of which we affix our names and our marks on this twenty-sixth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty four.

True translation.

C. O. Davis.

Received from the hands of Mr. McLean as a payment for our lands described inReceipt for £120, first instalment. this document one hundred and twenty pounds being the first instalment. Auckland, August 29, 1854.

Himiona Purau,
and 9 others; belong to the Matiwaru tribe living at Coromandel.

Witnesses—

C. O. Davis, Interpreter, and 4 others.

£100.

Akarana, Akuhata 21, 1855.
Kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra i nga ringaringa o te Makarini nga pauna moni August. 21 1855.Receipt for £100, last instalment. kotahi rau takitahi ko te utunga whakaotinga tenei mo to matou kainga e takoto nei nga rohe ki tua o tenei pukapuka ka tahi nei ka tino oti pu atu ake tonu atu.

Paora te Putu x.
Ra tu moana.

Kai Titiro—

Ebenezer Baker, Clerk, N.L. Purchase Office.
John Hobbs.

Translation.

£100.

Auckland, August 21, 1855.
Received by us on this day at the hands of Mr. McLean the sum of One Hundred 1855. 21 August.Recepit for £100, final instalment. Pounds sterling, once told. This is the final payment for our land whose boundaries are described on the other side of this document, and which is now fully and for ever surrendered.

Paora te Putu x.
Ratumoana.

Witness—

Ebenezer Baker, Clerk N.L. Purchase Office.
John Hobbs.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Receipts, and Translations.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 10th, 1874.