Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

page 283

Translation.

This Deed entered into on the Second of October in the year 1852 the consenting of 1852. 2 October. Hemi te Ngohi Chief of Te Uri o te ao of the Nga Tipare the consenting also of the Te Rape. Queen of England on her part now I Hemi Te Ngohi being the owner of the Land described in this Deed do agree to sell this Land to Queen Victoria for the sum of Six Pounds, given now into my hand. For this I give and make over to Victoria Queen of England and her Heirs for ever this Land and all appurtenances thereto belonging, the following are the Boundaries on the East by the line cut to the East of the road, on the Boundaries. North by the Land sold to Mr. Hart on the West by the Land sold to Mr. Chisholm. A sketch of this Land is on the other side.

Witness my name—

(Signed) Hemi Te Ngohi x his mark.

Witnesses—

(Signed) John Grant Johnson, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair.

Received by me Hemi Te Ngohi the Six Pounds as agreed to in this Deed hence myReceipt for £6. writing this my name on the Second day of October in the year of our Lord 1852.

(Signed) Hemi te Ngohi x his mark.

Witnesses—

(Signed) John Grant Johnson, Interpreter.
Andrew Sinclair.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 11th, 1874.