Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

This Deed written on the thirtieth day of October one thousand eight hundred and 1848. 30 October.Tiki. forty-eight is an Agreement on my part a Chief of Ngatiwhatua and of the Queen of England on her own behalf, Whereby I the owner of the land described in this Deed agree to sell this same piece of land to Queen Victoria in consideration of fifteen pounds Hobson's Bridge. sterling now given to me wherefore I give and deliver over to Victoria the Queen of England and to Her Successors for ever that piece of land with all thereto belonging, the boundaries are as follows: On the North there is a stream, on the East there is the Boundaries. land sold by the Ngatiwhatua to the Queen of England and called Tiki, On the South there is the road from Auckland, On the West there is the land belonging to Meurant and the stream called Ruareoreo, the plan is drawn on the other side.

Witness my name—

(Signed) Keene.

In the presence of—

(Signed) Edwin Fairburn.
James Baber.

I have received fifteen pounds sterling as written within this Deed therefore I signReceipt for £15. my name this thirtieth day of October in the year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and forty-eight.

(Signed) Keene.

In the presence of—

(Signed) Edwin Fairburn.
James Baber.

True translation.

Edwin Fairburn.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 14th, 1874.