Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1848. 12 June.Wahu, Or Whau Portage.This Deed written on the twelfth day of June 1848 is an agreement on my part a Chief of Ngatiwhatua and of the Queen of England on her own behalf whereby I and the men of Ngatiwhatua the owners of the land described in this Deed agree to sell this Land to Queen Victoria in consideration of the sum of twenty three pounds sterling now given to me on which account is given and delivered over to Victoria Queen of England and Boundaries. to her Successors for ever that Land with all thereto belonging the boundaries are as follows, On the North by the Wahu and the Portage on the West it adjoins the land of Porter on the East by the land of Ngatiwhatua tribe going on by the Land of Hart; it page 277ends—The Wahu is the name of the Place and the Plan is drawn on the other side of this.

Witness my Signature—

(Signed). Te Hira.
I assent.
mark of x Te Kawau.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) James Baber.
(Sd.) Henry Figg.

I have received twenty three pounds sterling therefore I sign my name this twelfthReceipt for £23. day of June 1848.

(Signed) Te Hira.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) James Baber.
(Sd.) Henry Figg.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 12th July, 1875.