Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Edwin Turner Woon]

[Declaration of Edwin Turner Woon]

I, Edwin Turner Woon, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of Declaration of E.T. Woon. New Zealand, Licensed Interpreter of the Maori Language, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.I hold a Certificate authorizing me to act as Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," and "The Native Lands Act, 1869," which Certificate is in full force and effect.
2.I was present, together with Edward Bennett, of Auckland, Solicitor, and James Hand, of Kaipara, Boatman, both in the said Province of Auckland, and did see Heta Paikea, Eramiha Paikea, and Pairama Ngatahi, parties to the Deed written hereon, sign and execute the same.
3.Immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Heta Paikea, Eramiha Paikea, and Pairama Ngatahi, I did faithfully interpret the same into the Maori language to them; and my translation was correct, and was understood by the said Heta Paikea, Eramiha Paikea, and Pairama Ngatahi.
4.That the names "Edwin Turner Woon," "Edward Bennett," and "James Hand," set and subscribed as those of the attesting witnesses to the execution of the said Deed by the said Heta Paikea, Eramiha Paikea, and Pairama Ngatahi, are of the proper handwritings of the said Edward Bennett and James Hand, and of me this Declarant; and the said Edward Bennett and James Hand are male adults. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the provisions of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

Edwin Turner Woon,
Licensed Interpreter.

Declared at Auckland, in the said Province, this twenty-fourth day of December, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

J. C. Sharland,
A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Declaration.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, October 22nd, 1874