Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 141.]

page 185

Deeds—No. 141.

Pukeharakeke Block (on the River Ararima), Kaipara District.

Ko te tuhituhinga o tenei pukapuka i te ra o rua tekau ma rima o Mei kotahi mano 1852. 25 May.Kaipara District. waru rau ma rima tekau ma rua te whakaaetanga o matou nga Rangatira o Ngatiwhatua Pukeharakeke. te whakaaetanga ano hoki o te Kuini o Ingarani mona, na ko matou nga tangata i te kainga e tuhituhia nei ki tenei pukapuka, na ka whakaae nei matou ki te hoko i tenei whenua ki a Kuini Victoria hei utu mo nga pauna moni e ono tekau ka hoatu nei, ka tuku atu nei ki a Victoria te Kuini o Ingarani, ki te Kingi, Kuini ranei o muri i a ia ake, ake, ake, i taua whenua me nga aha noa iho, aha noa iho o tenei kainga, ko ona rohe Boundaries. [3,400 acres.] koia enei kei te taka ki te tuaraki ka timata ki te horo ki roto i te ngaherehere haere tika tonu ki runga i te taukaka ki te puke o Ararima, he keringa ki reira, kei te taha ki te marangai, ka timata ki taua puke, ka whiti i te awa ka haere ki runga i te taukaka tae atu ki Watati, kei te taha ki te tonga haere ana te rohe i Watati tika tonu ki te keringa ki Kaihakihaki, kei te taha ki te hauauru haere ana te rohe i Kaihakihaki, ka whiti i te awa tae atu ki te horo e korerotia nei, kua tuhituhia te ahua o te oneone ki tua nei.

Tirohia o matou ingoa—

te Hira.
te Reweti x.
te Kepa.
Paul.

I te aroaro o—

George F. Swainson, Survey Office,

Auckland, N.Z.

Kua riro mai i a matou nga pauna moni e ono tekau kua tuhituhia nei ki roto kiReceipt for £60. tenei pukapuka; Koia matou ka tuhituhi nei i o matou ingoa i tenei ra e rua tekau ma rima o Mei te tau o to tatou Ariki, kotahi mano waru rau ma rima tekau ma rua.

te Hira.
te Rewetix.
te Kepa.
Paul.

I te aroaro—

Greorge F. Swainson, Survey Office,

Auckland, N.Z.

Translation.

This Deed written on the twenty fifth of May one thousand eight hundred and fifty 1852. 25 May. two is an Agreement made between us Chiefs of Ngatiwhatua and the Queen of England Pukeharakeke. on her own behalf Whereby We the owners of the piece of land herein described consent to sell the said piece of land to Her Majesty Victoria in consideration of the sum of Sixty pounds, wherefore we hereby give and deliver over unto Her Majesty the Queen Price £60. of England and to Her Successors for ever All that piece of land with all that appertains to it. It is bounded on the North by a line commencing at a land slip in the midst Boundaries. [3,400 acres.] of the forest, going straight thence to the ridge of the hill of Ararima where a mark is dug in the ground, on the East commencing at the last named mark the line crosses the stream and proceeds up the ridge to Watati, on the South the boundary line runs straight from Watati to a mark dug in the ground at Kaihakihaki on the West the line beginning from Kaihakihaki crosses the stream and goes to the land slip mentioned in the beginning of this description.

The plan of the land is drawn on the other side.

Witness,—Our Names—

Hira. Signed.
Reweti. Signed.
Kepa. Signed.
Paul. Signed.

In the presence of—

(Sd.) G. F. Swainson, Survey Office,

Auckland.

We have received sixty pounds Sterling written on this Deed therefore we sign ourReceipt for £60. names this twenty fifth of May in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty two.

[Signed as before.]

True Translation.

(Signed) James Baber.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 25th, 1874.