Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 96 B.]

Deeds—No. 96 B.

Tangihua Block, Whangarei Distict.

1875. 23 June.Whangarri District. Tenei Pukapuka i tuhituhia i tenei Rua tekau ma toru o nga ra o Hune (23 June) i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1875 he pukapuka tino hoko tino hoatu tino tuku whakaoti atu na matou na nga Rangatira me nga tangata o Te Parawhau no ratou nga ingoa e mau i raro Tancihua. nei a hei whakaatu tenei Pukapuka mo matou mo o matou whanaunga me o matou uri mo te tuhituhinga o o matou ingoa ki tenei pukapuka i raro i te ra e whiti nei kua whakarerea rawatia kua tino tukuna rawatia atu kia Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarani ki ona uri ki nga Kingi, ki nga Kuini o muri iho ia ia me ana me a ratou e whakarite ai hei whakaritenga mo nga Pauna Moni £1164 . 16 . 6 kua utua mai ki a matou e Te Henare Kepa mo te Kuini (a e whakaaetia nei e matou te rironga mai o aua moni) ko taua wahi whenua katoa kei Whangarei ko Tangihua te ingoa o taua wahi whenua ko nga rohe kei raro i te Pukapuka nei e mau ana te korero whakahaere ko te mapi hoki o taua whenua kua apititia ki tenei. Me ona rakau, me ona kowhatu, me ona wai, me ona awa nui, me ona roto, me ona awa ririki, me nga mea katoa o taua whenua o runga ranei o raro ranei i te mata o taua whenua me o matou tikanga me o matou take me o matou paanga katoatanga ki taua wahi. Kia mau tonu kia Kuini Wikitoria ki ona uri ki ana ranei e whakarite ai hei tino mau tonu ake tonu atu. A hei tohu mo to matou whakaae-tanga ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei pukapuka kua tuhituhia nei o matou ingoa me o matou tohu. A hei tohu hoki mo te whakaaetanga o te Kuini o Ingarani mo tana wahi ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei Pukapuka kua tuhia nei te ingoa o—Kaiwhakarite Whenua. Ko nga rohe enei o taua whenua ka timata i Pukepukerau rere tonu ki Otuhe i te raina Boundaries. [15,600 acres.] tawhito o Maungatapere hono noa ki te Wai-o-Tama ka rere i taua awa pa noa ki Puke-mokimoki Kaihuihui ka hurii te raina a Te Watene marere noa ki te Wai-o-Taoroa ka rere ka piki i runga o Tangihua tuhono noa ki te timatanga mai o te kaha Otira kei te mapi o te Rùritanga te tino tikanga o te whenua ka oti nei te hoko.

Te Tirarau Kukupax.
Maraea te Waiata.
Eriata Waiata.

H. T. Kemp, C.C.

Ko nga tangata i kite i te hoatutanga o nga moni me te tuhinga o nga ingoa—

Robt. Mair, Licensed Interpreter.
J. J. Wilson, J.P., C.E., P. W.D.
Pomare Kingi.
Taurau Kukupa.

Receipt for £1,164 . 16 . 6. Kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra i te 23 o nga ra o Hune i te tau o to tatou Ariki Kotahi mano e waru rau ono tekau ma Rima (1875) nga Pauna moni £1164. 16 . 6 (£1164 . 16 . 6) ko te utu tenei kua whakahuatia ki te Pukapuka tuku e mau i runga ake nei kia utua mai ki a matou e Te Henare Kepa mo to Kuini.

Te Tirarau Kukupa.
Maraea te Waiata.

page 131

Nga Kai-titiro—

Robt Mair, Licensed Interpreter.
J. J. Wilson, J.P., C.E., P.W.D.
Pomare Kingi.
Taurau Kukupa, Native Assessor, Whangarei.

Translation.

This Deed written on this Twenty-third day of June in the year of our Lord 1875 is a 1875. 23 June.Whangarei District. full and final sale conveyance and surrender by us the Chiefs and people of the tribe Te Parawhau whose names are hereunto subscribed and Witnesseth that on behalf of ourselves our relatives and descendants we have by signing this Deed under the shining sun of this day parted with and for ever transferred unto Victoria Queen of England her Tancihua. heirs the Kings and Queens who may succeed Her and Her and their assigns for ever in consideration of the sum of (£1104 . 16 . 6) to us paid by Henry Tacy Kemp on behalf of the Queen Victoria (and we hereby acknowledge the receipt of the said monies) all that piece of our land situated at Whangarei and named Tangihua the boundaries whereof are set forth at the foot of this Deed and a plan of which land is annexed thereto with its trees, minerals, waters, rivers, lakes, streams, and all appertaining to the said land or beneath the surface of the said land and all our right title claim and interest whatsoever thereto thereto, 'To hold to Queen Victoria Her Heirs and Assigns as a lasting possession absolutely for ever and ever. And in testimony of our consent to all the conditions of this Deed we have hereunto subscribed our names and marks. And in testimony of the Queen of England on her part to all the conditions of this Deed the name of Henry Tacy Kemp Commissioner is hereunto subscribed. These are the boundaries of the land commencing at Pukepukerau thence to Otuhe thence along the Boundaries. [15,600 acres.] original boundary line of the Maungatapere Block to the Wai-o-Tama river thence by that river to Pukemokimoki thence to Kaihuihui thence turning and by Walton's boundary to the Taoroa Stream thence ascending the Tangihua mountain to the point of commencement. The boundaries however of the said land now sold are more fully described in the survey plan.

(Signed) Te Tirarau Kukupa.
Maraea te Waiata. Eriata Waiata.

H. T. Kemp, C.C.

Witness to the payment and signatures—

(Signed) Robt. Mair, Licensed Interpreter.
Pomare Kingi.
Taurau Kukupa.

Received this 23rd day of June in the Year of our Lord one thousand eightReceipt for £1, 164. 16. 6. hundred and seventy-five (1875) the sum of £1164 . 16 . 6 pounds sterling (£1164 . 16 . 6) being the consideration money expressed in the above written Deed to be paid by Henry Tacy Kemp on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen to us.

(Signed) Tirarau Kukupa.
Maraea te Waiata.

Witnesses—

(Signed) Robt. Mair, Licensed Interpreter.
Pomare Kingi.
Taurau Kukupa, Native Assessor, Whangarei.

I the undersigned chief of the tribe known as Te Parawhau residing at MataiwakaDeclartation of vendors. as lawful grantee do declare that I did on the day and date within written sell and convey to Her Majesty the Queen all that piece or parcel of land known as Tangihua as described and delineated on the plan hereunto annexed and that the amount specified in the said Deed was duly received by me in full payment thereof.

Te Tirarau Kukupa x Tona Tohu.
Maraea te Waiata.
Eria Waiata.

Signed on this the second day of February 1876 after the contents had been explained to me by, James Stephenson Clendon, a Licensed Interpreter, in the presence of—
John Jermyn Symonds, Rest. Magistrate.

I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native LandsTrust Commissioner's certificate. Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

Dated this 25th day of February, 1876.

T. M. Haultant,
Trust Commissioner.

8160 b.

Received for Registration at 10 a.m. 1 March, 1876.Registratior.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, Certificate, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, April 18th, 1876.