Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 112.]

page 150

Deeds—No. 112.

Kaiwa Block, Whangarei District.

1857. 6 November.Whangarei District.He pukapuka tuku whenua tenei, i tuhituhia kei Otaika i tenei ra i te ono o nga rao te Marama o Noema i te tau o to Tatou Ariki kotahi mano waru rau ma rima tekau ma kaiwa. whitu, ko te whakaaetanga tenei a te Te Tirarau, ma nga tangata katoa ki te tuku atu i tetehi whenua ma te Kuini Wikitoria o Ingarangi hei utu mo nga pauna moni e rua rau ko Kaiwa te ingoa nui o tenei whenua, koia tenei kua oti nei te mapi ki te taha o tenei Boundaries. [1,372 acres.] pukapuka, ko nga rohe enei, ka timata ki te puriri maroke ki Kaiwa, ka haere i te raina ruri 7026 kopenunga mekameka ka tutaki ki te awa o te Waitangata ka haere te rohe i roto i te Waitangata ki te tutakitanga ki te rohe ki Manaia ka haere i runga i te raina o Manaia ka puta ki te awa o Whangarei, ka haere i te taha tika, Pakaraka, Raho Ngaua, Papakarahi, Tahuna tapu a ka tutaki ki Kaiwha ki te wahi i timata ai. Na kua riro i a Receipt for £200. ahau aua moni, e rua rau pauna, i te ringaringa o John Grant Johnson, tetehi kai whakarite whenua, i tenei ra kua oti te tuhituhi nei koia ahau ka tuku, ka whakarere rawa, i tenei whenua me ona ahatanga katoatanga, kia te Kuini Wikitoria o Ingarangi ki ona Uri, Kingi, Kuini ranei, ake tonu atu—koia ahau ka tuhituhi i toku nei ingoa.

Na te Tirarux tona tohu.

Kai Titiro o tenei ingoa me te maka—o tenei homaitanga utu hoki—

W. Brassey, Capt. By Ret.
John Grant Johnson, District Land P. Commr.

Translation.

1857. 6 November.Whangarei District.This Deed of Sale of Land executed at Otaika on this sixth day of the month of November in the year of Our Lord One thousand Eight hundred and fifty seven is the consent of Tirarau on behalf of all concerned therein, to the giving up of a portion of Land to the Queen Victoria of England in consideration for the sum of Two hundred kaiwa. pounds sterling Kaiwa is the name by which this land is known and is the same delineated on the plan attached to this Deed, these are the boundaries, commencing at a Boundaries. [1,372 acres.] certain withered puriri tree at Kaiwa and thence along a surveyed line 7026 links to the stream called Waitangata thence up the course of the stream called Waitangata till it reaches the boundary line of the Manaia Block, thence along the boundary line of the Manaia Block till it reaches the main harbour of Whangarei thence along the sea shore to Pakaraka, Raho Ngaua, Papaka rahi Tahunatapu till it reaches the point of Receipt for £200. commencement at Kaiwa Now I hereby acknowledge to have received the said sum of money Two hundred pounds, from the hands of John Grant Johnson a Commissioner for the purchase of land from the Natives on this day above written therefore I do hereby give up, and thoroughly let go this land and everything thereunto pertaining to the Queen Victoria of England and her heirs male or female for ever, in token of which I hereby affix my name.

Tirarau x his mark.

Witnesses to payment and mark—

(Signed) W. Brassey, Capt. By Ret.
John Grant Johnson, Dist. Commissioner.

True Translation.

John Grant Johnson.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 9th, 1875.