Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 72.]

Deeds—No. 72.

Wharoro Block, Hokianga District.

This Deed, made the 28th day of April 1875 between Her Majesty Queen Victoria on 1875. 28 April.Hokianga District. the one part, and Ihaka Paehoka and Hare Whiro of Ohaeawai, Aboriginal Natives of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Vendors,") of the other part Wharoro. witnesseth, that in consideration of the sum of Sixty three pounds (£63 " " ) by Her Majesty paid to the Vendors on the execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby Receipt for £63. acknowledged), the Vendors do, and each of them doth, hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land containing Eight hundred and thirty-nine acres or thereabouts, known or called Wharoro, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule here to, and delineated on the plan drawn on this page 100Deed and coloured red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining:

To hold the said premises with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever.

In witness whereof the Vendors have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Ihaka paehoka.
Hare whiro x.

Signed by the said Ihaka Paehoka and Hare Whiro after the contents had been explained by an Interpreter of the Court and they appearing clearly to understand the meaning of the same.
In the presence of
Spencer von Sturmer,
Resident Magistrate, Hokianga.
Charles E. Nelson,
Interpreter under Native Lands Act, 1873.

Schedule.

Boundaries. [839 acres.]All that parcel of land in the Province of Auckland, containing by admeasurement eight hundred and thirty-nine (839) acres, more or less, being the block of land called or known as Wharoro, and numbered three thousand one hundred and seventy-two (3172), situated in the District of Hokianga. Bounded—On the North by the Kawaenui Creek, and by lines one thousand one hundred and five (1105) links, one thousand and sixteen (1016) links, seven hundred and thirty-eight (738) links, five hundred and seventy-nine (579) links, and ninety-seven (97) links, and the Paparoa Creek; towards the North-east by a line one thousand one hundred and sixteen (1116) links; towards the East by lines two thousand five hundred and thirty-one (2531) links, three hundred and seventy-five (375) links, and seven hundred and forty-seven (747) links, and by the Horokokako and Paramurua Creeks; towards the South-west by the Kawaka Creek; and towards the West by lines ninety-two (92) links, four hundred and twelve (412) links, two hundred and fifty-three (253) links, two hundred and ninety-two (292) links, one thousand and fifty-one (1051) links, eight hundred and seventy-six (876) links, one hundred and sixty-nine (169) links, three hundred and eleven (311) links, two hundred and seventy (270) links, three hundred and sixty (360) links, one hundred and fifty-nine (159) links, one hundred and ninety (190) links, two hundred and eighty-seven (287) links, two hundred and twenty-two (222) links, four hundred and six (406) links, one hundred and sixty-five (165) links, two hundred and ninety (290) links, one hundred and sixty-five (165) links, two hundred and ninety-eight (298) links, four hundred and one (401) links, one hundred and sixty-nine (169) links, five hundred (500) links, six hundred and sixteen (616) links, two hundred and five (205) links, three hundred and twenty-six (326) links, five hundred and sixty-four (564) links, five hundred and forty-three (543) links, and three hundred and twenty-three (323) links.
Maori précis. He pukapuka tuku rawa atu tenei na Ihaka Paehoka raua ko Hare Whiro i tera whenua katoa tona ingoa ke Wharoro Kia Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarangi ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini i muri i a ia ake tonu atu ko te utu mo taua whenua e ono tekau ma toru pauna ko te nui e waru rau e toru tekau ma iwa eka koni ake iti iho ranei ko nga rohe enei—ki te kotiu he whenua Maori ko te awa o "Paparoa" ki te Marangai he whenua maori me te awa o "Horokokako" ko te awa o "Paramurua" ki te Tonga ko te awa o Kawaka, ki te Hauauru he whenua Maori.

Ihaka paehoka.
Hare whiro x.

Spencer von Sturmer,
Resident Magistrate, Hokianga.
Charles E. Nelson,
Interpreter under Native Land Act, 1873.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commissioner.

Dated this 24th day of August, 1875.

737 c.

Registration. Received for Registration at 1 p.m. 24th August, 1875.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, Certificate and Endorsement.

H. H. Turton.

Wellington, March 8th, 1876.