Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 95 A.]

Deeds—No. 95 A.

Okaka Block, Hokianga District.

This Deed made the twenty second day of June 1875 between Her Majesty Queen 1875. 22 June.Hokianga District. Victoria on the one part, and Wiremu Ngawhau, Moari, Reihana Utu and Hone Hare of Hokianga Aboriginal Natives of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Okaka. Vendors") of the other part, witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of Eighty seven pounds three shillings and ninepence (£87 . 3 . 9), by Her Majesty paid to the Receipt for £87 . 3 . 9. Vendors on the execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged), the Vendors do, and each of them doth, hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land containing Nine hundred and fifteen acres or thereabouts, known or called Okaka, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule hereunto, and delineated on the plan drawn on this Deed and edged red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining:

To Hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever.

In Witness whereof the Vendors have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Wiremu Ngawhau.
Moari her x mark.
Reihana Utu his x mark.
Hone Hare his x mark.

Signed by the said Wiremu Ngawhau, Moari, Reihana Utu, and Hone Hare after the contents had been explained to them by an Interpreter of the Court and they appearing clearly to understand the meaning of the same. In the presence of—
Henry A. Monro, Judge Native Land Court.
W. Bridson, Clerk N.L. Court.

page 126

Schedule.

Boundaries. [915 acres.]Bounded—On the North by the Wahamarangai Block one thousand one hundred and fifty-three (1153) links, seven hundred and twenty (720) links, one hundred and forty-eight (148) links, four hundred and forty-four (444) links, four hundred and nine (409) links, two thousand four hundred and seventeen (2417) links, four hundred and twenty-three (423) links, seven hundred and two (702) links, five hundred and thirty-four (534) links, two hundred and eighty-five (285) links, one thousand (1000) links, and two thousand three hundred and forty (2340) links; towards the East by the Okaihau No. 2 Block seven hundred and three (703) links, one thousand five hundred and five (1505) links, one thousand one hundred and thirty-four (1134) links, two thousand two hundred and sixty (2260) links, two thousand five hundred and twenty-eight (2528) links, and one hundred and eighty (180) links; towards the South by the Okaka River, the Tourangatira Block three thousand six hundred and fifty-five (3655) links, one thousand and twenty-eight (1028) links, three hundred and thirty-eight (338) links, and three hundred and forty-seven (347) links, the Utakura River, a Wahi Tapu five hundred and fifty-one (551) links, four hundred and seventy-three (473) links, and two hundred and forty-one (241) links, and again by the Utakura River; towards the West by a line two thousand six hundred and eighty-three (2683) links; and towards the North-west by Te Papa Block three thousand four hundred and forty (3440) links, two hundred and sixty-nine (269) links, one thousand eight hundred and twenty-four (1824) links, six hundred and eight (608) links, five hundred (500) links, eight hundred and ninety-eight (898) links, four hundred and twenty-eight (428) links, three hundred and thirty-five (335) links, four hundred and thirty-three (433) links, and one thousand and twenty-three (1023) links.
Maori précis. He pukapuka tuku rawa atu tenei na Wiremu Ngawhau Moari Reihana Utu me Hone Hare i tera whenua katoa ko tona ingoa ko Okaka kia Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarangi ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini i muri i a ia ake tonu atu ko te utu mo taua whenua E waru tekau ma whitu pauna e toru hereni me te 9d. Ko te nui E iwa rau tekau ma rima eka koni ake iti iho ranei. Ko nga rohe enei Ki te Kotiu ko "Wahamarangai" he whenua Ki te Marangai ko "Okaihau No. 2" Ki te tonga ko "Okaka" he awa ko "Tourangatira" he whenua. Ko te awao "Utakura" Kite Hauauru Ko "Te Papa" he whenua kua oti te ruri.
Interpreter's certificate. I, Charles E. Nelson, an Interpreter duly appointed under "The Native Lands Act, 1873," certify that the above is a clear statement in the Maori language of the contents of the within-written deed, which contents I properly explained to the above-mentioned vendors before the deed was executed by them.

Charles E. Nelson.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commisr.

Dated this 23rd day of August, 1875.

738 c.

Registration. Received for Registration at 1 p.m. 24th Aug., 1875.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, Certificate, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 11th, 1876.