Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 85.]

Deeds—No. 85.

Punakitere Block, Hokianga District.

1875. 12 June.Hokianga District.This Deed, made the twelfth day of June 1875, between Her Majesty Queen Victoria Punakitere. on the one part and Hori Karaka Tawiti of Hokianga Aboriginal Native of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Vendor") of the other part, witnesseth, that Reciept for £377 . 17 in consideration of the sum of Three hundred and seventy seven pounds 17/(£377 . 17), by Her Majesty paid to the Vendor on the execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged), the Vendor doth hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land containing seven thousand five hundred and fifty seven acres or thereabouts, known or called Punakitere, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule hereto, and delineated on the plan drawn on this Deed and edged red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining:

To hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever.

In Witness whereof the Vendor has hereunto set his hand the day and year first above written.

Hori Karaka Tawiti.

Signed by the said Hori Karaka Tawiti after the contents had been explained to him by an Interpreter of the Court and he appeared clearly to understand the meaning of the same In the presence of—
Henry A. Monro, Judge Native Land Court.
Wm. Bridson, Clerk N.L. Court.

Schedule.

Boundaries. [7,557 acres.]All that block or parcel of land in the Province of Auckland, District of Hokianga, containing seven thousand five hundred and fifty-seven (7557) acres or thereabouts, called or known as Punakitere. Bounded—On the North by lines five thousand two hundred and ninety (5290) links, one thousand seven hundred and thirty-nine (1739) links, and three thousand four hundred and five (3405) links, the Oikura Block two thousand five hundred and seventy-six (2576) links, ten thousand six hundred and thirty-one (10631) links, and six hundred and three (603) links, and the Mangatoa Stream towards the East by the said stream; towards the South by lines twenty-two thousand four hundred and two (22402) links, a stream; again by lines two hundred and sixty (260) links and four thousand three hundred and thirty-nine (4339) links, the Punakitere River, again by lines three thousand and fifteen (3015) links, one thousand eight hundred and ninety-two (1892) links, one thousand nine hundred and ninety-five (1995) links, six thousand nine hundred and twenty-seven (6927) links, one thousand four hundred and eighty-nine (1489) links, and seven hundred and ten (710) links, and by the Taheke River; and towards the North-west by a line five thousand and twenty-nine (5029) links, and the Omao Stream.
Maori précis. He pukapuka tuku rawa atu tenei na Hori Karaka Tawiti i tera whenua katoa tona ingoa ko Punakitere kia Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarangi ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini i muri i a ia ake tonu atu ko te utu mo taua whenua E toru rau E whitu tekau ma whitu pauna me te tekau ma whitu hereni ko te nui E whitu mano e rima rau e rima tekau ma whitu eka koni ake iti iho ranei Ko nga rohe enei ki te kotiu he raina 5290, 1739, 3405 riniki ko "Oikura" he whenua kua oti te ruri 2576, 10631, 603, riniki ko te awa o "Mangatoa" ki te Marangai ko te awa o "Mangatoa" ki te Tonga he raina 22452 riniki 260, 4339 riniki ko te awa o Punakitore me etahi raina 3015, 1892, 1995, 6927, 1498, 710 riniki ko te awa o "Te Taheke" ki te tua Raki he raina 5029 riniki me te awa "Omao."
page 115
I, Charles E. Nelson, an Interpreter duly appointed under "The Native Lands Act, 1873," certify that the above is a clear statement in the Maori language of the contents of the within-written deed, which contents I properly explained to Hori Karaka Tawiti Interpreter's certificate. before the same was executed by him.

Charles E. Nelson.

I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native LandsTrust Commissioner's certificate. Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, doth hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commr.

Dated this 23rd day of August, 1875.

747 c.

Received for Registration at 1 p.m., 24th August, 1875.Registration.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, Certificate, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 11th, 1876.