Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 65.]

Deeds—No. 65.

Kaitaia (North) Block, Hokianga District.

1872. 31 JulyHokianga DistrictThis Deed made the thirty first day of July One thousand eight hundred and seventy two Between Tomaho te Huhu, Taka te Ngawe Wiremu Tana Papahia, Rikihana [gap — reason: damage] Kaitaia North. heroa, Heriwini te Toko, Pohipi te Waaka Rangaunu Paraone te Huhu and Huitara all of Mongonui in the province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand Aboriginal Natives of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth Receipt for£725 . 15. that consideration of the sum of Seven hundred and twenty five pounds fifteen page 89shillings paid by Her Majesty the Queen to the said Tomaho te Huhu, Taka te Ngawe Wiremu Tana Papahia Rikihana Toheroa Herewini Te Toko, Pohipi te Waaka Bangaunu Paraone te Huhu and Huitara (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) They the said Tomaho te Huhu Taka te Ngawe Wiremu Tana Papahia Rikihana Toheroa Herewini te Toko Pohipi te Waaka Rangaunu Paraone te Huhu and Huitara do and each and every of them doth hereby convey and assure unto Her Majesty the Queen her successors or assigns All that parcel of land in New Zealand being the Northern Section of the Kaitaia Block in the District of Hokianga in the County of Mongonui in Boundaries. [5,806 acres.] the Province of Auckland and containing Five thousand eight hundred and six acres Bounded towards the North by the Kaitaia River Reserve Three thousand one hundred links One thousand five hundred and thirty eight links. Two thousand six hundred and sixty two links again by the Kaitaia River and by lines Six hundred and forty links One thousand three hundred and ninety three links Two thousand one hundred and ninety links Nine hundred and eighty three links Five hundred and eighty nine links Three hundred and eight links Two thousand two hundred and thirty four links One thousand seven hundred and ninety links Four thousand six hundred and forty four links and nine hundred and seventy seven links towards the East by a Stream and again towards the North by the Ruaroa Block Three thousand two hundred and thirty two links again towards the East by a line Fifteen thousand eight hundred and forty links towards the South by other portion of said Kaitaia Block Twenty six thousand four hundred and ten links towards the South West by the Otahu Block Five thousand five hundred and twenty one links and towards the South West by the Kaiawe Block Five thousand four hundred and thirteen links and Three thousand two hundred and eighty four links and by lines Two thousand four hundred and sixty links and Two thousand one hundred links excepting the Wahi Tapu called Kaiaponui containing sixteen perches As Kaiaponui excepted. delineated by the plan drawn in the margin hereof edged red With all the rights and appurtenances thereunto belonging To hold the same unto Her Majesty the Queen her Successors or assigns In witness whereof the said parties have hereunto subscribed their names.

Peri te huhu.
Taka Te ngawhe.
Wi Tana Papahia
his
Rikihana Toheroa x Geo. Kelly
mark
Herewini Tetoko.
Puhipi.
Waka Rangaunu
his
Wiremu Paraone x Geo. Kelly
mark
his
Hekiera Tamaho x Geo. Kelly
mark
Timoti Puhipi

Signed by the said Peri te Huhu Taka te Ngawe, Rikihana Toheroa Wi Tana Papahia Herewini Tetoko Hekira Tamaho Puhipi Waka Rangaunu and Wiremu Paraone Timoti Puhipi in the presence of—
Geo. Kelly,
Licensed Interpreter, Mongonui
Reihana Kiriwi,
Assessor, Mongonui

[declaration of George Kelly]

I Geo. Kelly of Mongonui in the Province of Auckland New Zealand a duly Declaration of George Kelly authorized Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1865 and the Native Lands Act 1867 do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1st.That I hold a certificate duly authorizing me to act as Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1865 and the Native Lands Act 1867 and that such certificate is in full force and effect.
2nd.That I was present together with Reihana Kiriwi of Parapara and did see the parties mentioned and described in this deed of conveyance respectively sign and execute the above Deed.
3rd.That the names George Kelly and Reihana Kiriwi set and subscribed as those of the attesting witnesses to the execution of the above Deed are of the proper handwriting of the said George Kelly and Reihana Kiriwi and that the said Reihana Kiriwi is a male statute adult.
4th.That immediately before the execution of the said deed by the Parties mentioned therein I did faithfully interpret the above Deed into the Maori Language unto the said parties and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand entituled The Native Lands Act 1865, The Native Lands Act 1867, and the Justices of the Peace Act 1866.

Made and declared at Mongonui in the Province of Auckland aforesaid this Tenth day of August one thousand eight hundred and seventy two.
W. B. White, R.M.

Geo. Kelly,
Licensed Interpreter

[Trust commissioner's certificate]

I, Daniel Pollen the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Trust Commissioner's certificate. Prevention Act 1870 " for the District of Auckland do hereby certify that I have with page 90respect to the within written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.
Dated this 19th day of September, 1872.

Daniel Pollen,
Trust Commissioner.

1089 h.

Endorsement. Received for Registration at 10 a.m. 20 Sept. 1872.

[l.s.]

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar,

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declaration and Certificate.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 18th January, 1875.