Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 58.]

Deeds—No. 58.

Parahaki Block, Whangaruru Harbour, Bay of Islands District.

This Deed made the twenty fourth day of September One thousand eight hundred and 1872. 24 September.Bay of Islands District. seventy two Between Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanaki, Mihaka Te Wharaupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata, Reupena Puni, Ritihia Kaititari, Haare Parahaki. Tupuna, and Te Whiwhi Haupokia all of the District of Bay of Islands in the Province of Auckland in the Colony of New Zealand Aboriginal Natives of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration of the Sum of three hundred and seventy eight pounds four shillings (£378 . 4) paid by Her said Majesty Victoria to the said Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanaki, Mihaka Te Wharaupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata, Reupena Puni, Ritihia Kaititari, Haare Tupuna and Te Whiwhi Haupokia (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) They the said Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanaki, Mihaka Te Wharaupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata, Reupena Puni, Ritihia Kaititari, Haare Tupuna and Te Whiwhi Haupokia do and each of them doth hereby convey and assure unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and assigns All that piece or parcel of land at Whangaruru, in the District of Bay of Islands, called or known by the name of Parahaki, containing by admeasurement two thousand one hundred and eighty-eight (2188) acres, more or less. Bounded—Towards the North-East and East by the sea; towards the Boundaries. [2,188 acres.] South-east by lines one thousand and eighty (1080) links, one thousand three hundred (1300) links, six hundred (600) links, four hundred and sixty-four (464) links, five hundred and sixty-eight (568) links, one hundred and seventy-five (175) links, by a stream, by lines one thousand and ninety-three (1093) links, two thousand eight hundred and thirty (2830) links, and one thousand four hundred (1400) links, by the Waikokopu Creek, and by a line two thousand and forty (2040) links; towards the South-west by lines three hundred and seventy-two (372) links, four hundred and seventy (470) links, five hundred and forty-nine (549) links, six hundred and fifty-five (655) links, eight hundred and sixty (860) links, five hundred and twelve (512) links, seven hundred and twenty-five (725) links, one thousand one hundred and ten (1110) links, seven hundred and twenty (720) links, one thousand one hundred and seventy-seven (1177) links, six hundred and seventy-eight (678) links, two hundred and forty-five (245) links, five hundred and eighty (580) links, one thousand three hundred and six (1306) links, six hundred and sixty (660) links, five hundred and ninety-seven (597) links, four hundred and fifty-three (453) links, seven hundred and seventeen (717) links, four hundred and seventy-eight (478) links, three hundred and twelve (312) links, three hundred and thirty-six (336) links, and six hundred and thirty-eight (638) links; and towards the North-west by a line two thousand two hundred and twelve (2212) links, and by the Taratamuri Block five thousand six hundred and twenty (5620) links and eleven thousand one hundred and fifty-one (11151) links As the same is delineated by the plan drawn hereon With all the rights and appurtenances thereunto belonging To Hold the same unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and assigns for ever. In Witness whereof the said parties have hereunto subscribed their names.

hoterene tawatawa.
Wiremu Puanaki.
Mihaka Te Whareraupo.
Mohi Kaingaroa.
Hori Wehiwehi.
Ene Renata.
Reupene Puni.
Ritihia x Kaititari.
Haare Tupuna.
Te Whiwhi his x mark Haupokia.

C. Bn. de Thierry,
Licensed Interpreter, Auckland.

Charles T. Hutchison, Storekeeper,
Witness to Signature of Ritihia Kaititari.

4/10/72.

Signed by the said Hoterene Tawa tawa, Wiremu Punaki, Mihaka Te Whareraupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata, Reupena Puni, and Haare Tupuna In the presence of—
James Hamlyn Greenway, Clerk R.M. Court, Russell.
C. Bn. de Thierry, L.T. Interpreter, Auckland.

Signed by the said Te Whiwhi Haupokia In the presence of—
James Hamlyn Greenway, Licensed Interpreter, Russell.
James Macfarlane, Shipping and Customs &c. Agent, Russell.

page 78
Russell. 24th September, 1872.
Receipt for £378 . 4.Received from James Mackay Jr. the sum of Three hundred and seventy eight pounds four shillings being the amount of purchase money for the Parahaki block, Whangaruru Harbour, as per deed of Conveyance of this date signed by myself and others to the Queen.

£378 . 4 . 0.

hoterene tawa tawa

Witness to signature—

James Hamlyn Greenway, Licensed Interpreter, Russell.

[interpreter's declaration]

Interpreter's declaration. I James Hamlyn Greenway of Russell in the Province of Auckland in New Zealand a duly authorised Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts 1865, 1867, 1869, and 1870, Do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with James Macfarlane of Russell aforesaid Shipping and Custom House Agent a male adult and did see Te Whiwhi Haupokia mentioned and described in the within written Deed sign and execute the said Deed.
2.That the mark "x" set and subscribed to the said within written Deed was made by the said Te Whiwhi Haupokia.
3.That before the execution of the said Deed by the said Te Whiwhi Haupokia I did translate the same to him into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was perfectly understood by the said Te Whiwhi Haupokia And I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled The Native Lands Act 1865, The Native Lands Act 1867 The Native 'Lands Act 1869 The Native Lands Act 1870 and The Justice of the Peace Act 1866.

Declared at Russell this twenty-seventh day of November one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two Before me
Saml. Hayward Ford,
A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

James Hamlyn Greenway.

[interpreter's declaration]

Interpreter's declaration. I Charles Baron de Thierry of Auckland in the Province of Auckland in New Zealand a duly authorised Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts 1865, 1867, 1869 and 1870 do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with James Hamlyn Greenway of Russell in the Province aforesaid, Clerk Resident Magistrates Court a male adult and did see Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanaki, Mihaka te Wharaupo Mohi Kaingaroa Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata Reupena Kini, Haare Tupuna named and described in the within written Deed duly sign and execute the same and that I was also present with Charles J. Hutchison of Te Mimiha in the Province aforesaid Storekeeper a male adult and did see Ritihia Kaititari named and described in the within written Deed duly sign and execute the same.
2.That the signatures Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanaki, Mihaka te Wharaupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata Reupene Puni, Haare Tupuna and the "x" thereto set and subscribed were made by the said Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanake, Mihaka te Wharaupo, Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi Ene Renata Reupena Puni, Haare Tupuna and Ritihia Kaitihara.
3.That before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hoterene Tawatawa, Wiremu Puanake Mihaka te Wharaupo Mohi Kaingaroa Hori Wehiwehi Ene Renata, Reupena Puni Haare Tupuna and Ritihia Kaititara I did translate the same to them in the Maori Language and that my translation was correct and was perfectly understood by the said Hoterene Tawatawa Wiremu Puanake Mihaka te Wharaupo Mohi Kaingaroa, Hori Wehiwehi, Ene Renata, Reupena Puni, Haare Tupuna and Ritihia Kaititara.

And I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled The Native Lands Act 1865 The Native Lands Act 1867 The Native Lands Act 1869 The Native Lands Act 1870 and the Justice of the Peace Act 1866.

Declared at Auckland aforesaid this Twentieth day of December one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two.

C. Bn. de Thierry.

Geo. Graham,
A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

[Trust Commissioner's certificate]

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commissioner.

Dated this 17th day of November, 1873.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Receipt, Declarations and Certificate.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 27th September, 1874.