Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

The execution of this document on the day of one thousand eight hundred and 1852. Bay of Islands Distrrict. fifty two is the consent of Rewa Chief and the consent also of the Queen of England on her part now the owner of the land described in this document consents to sell this Section at Kororareka. land to Queen Victoria in consideration of the sum of one hundred and twenty pounds paid to me I therefore give up and cede to Victoria the Queen of England and to the Receipt for £120. Kings or Queens who may succeed Her for ever the two pieces of land together with all things appertaining thereto of which the following are the boundaries—The Boundaries of the piece at Korarareka on the beach, on the North a small Road 245 links on the West the beach 205 links on the South Pitt Street 230 links on the East by an European's place 190 links, the area of this land is 0a. 1r. 32p. The Boundaries of the piece Boundaries. [0a. 1r. 32p.] on the South, the boundary on the North is the land of Mr. Stephenson 750 links and 420 links it turns; 154, 195, 100 links to the sea, on the East the land of Mr. Wing, and the land of the Roman Catholic Bishop, 330, 180, 250, 140, 283, 225, 530, 161, 636, 935, 202. 390, 430, 264, 565, 150 links, there it ends. On the west the land of the Roman Catholic Bishop 445, 250, 500, 283, 658, 108, 105, 280, links, to the little stream thence by that stream to the commencing point. This land has been surveyed and the direction of the lines made by the compass and the same have been delineated on the plan on the back hereof. Behold.

By Rewa,
his x mark.

In the presence of—

James R. Clendon,
Resident Magistrate,
Mangonui.

Correct translation.

T. E. Young,
Trans. Nat. Dept.

I have received the sum of One hundred and twenty pounds as mentioned and set forth in this Deed. And therefore it is I now subscribe my name this day in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty two.

By Rewa,
his x mark.

In presence of—

James R. Clendon,
Resident Magistrate,
Mangonui.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 6th April, 1875.