Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 47.]

Deeds—No. 47.

Opokeka Etc. Block, Bay of Islands District.

Kororareka 3rd Oketopa 1863.
Na, whakarongo mai e nga tangata katoa. Ko te tino whakamutunga, ko te tino otinga 1863. 3 October.Bay of Islands District. atu tenei o tenei pihi whenua o "Opokeka" o te "Hautapu," o "Otiria," o "Waiputakorokoro," Opokeka, &c. ki te taha Kawanatanga. Ko nga kaha enei, kei te Rere o Otiria, ka rere te Hautapu ka rere te wai o Putakorokoro, ka kapea te mahinga maori ki waho, ka haere i roto i te wai o Putakorokoro a, "Otaitaua" a tuhono noa ki Waiwererowero ki te kaha o mua. Ko te kaha whakatetonga kei te Rere o Otiria marere noa ki te wai o Orauta, ka haere i roto i taua wai a tuhono noa ki te kaha tawhito.
A kua tukua mai i te Ringaringa o Te Henare Kepa te kai tuku whenua, E wha rau Receipt for £450. e rima tekau pauna moni, ko te utu i whakaaetia ai e matou, mo enei pihi whenua, a ma te Kai Ruri whenua e whakatakoto nga raina o tenei pihi hou, ki runga ki te Mapi nui.

Maihi P. Kawiti
Wi Te Hakiro.
H. T. Kemp,
D. Commissr.

Witnesses

R. C. Barstow, R.M.
George M. Mitford, J.P.

William Tee Teete, Upoko Runanga.
J. H. Greenway.

Translation.

Kororareka, Octr. 3rd, 1863.
Now, hearken all men. This is the full and final release and surrender to the Government 1863. 3 October.Bay of Islands District. of this block of land, of "Opokeka," of te "Hautapu," of "Otiria," of "Waiputakorokoro." These are the boundaries, (commencing) at the Otiria Falls, thence to Te Hautapu, thence to the Putakorokoro stream, the Native cultivations being excluded, Opokeka, &c. going in the Putakorokoro stream to "Otaitaua," and thence on to Waiwerowero, the former boundary. The Southern boundary commences at the Otiria Falls, thence to the Boundaries. Orauta stream, running in that stream until it joins the old boundary.
And we have received by the hands of Mr. Henry T. Kemp, Land Purchase Commissioner, the sum of Four hundred and fifty Pounds, being the payment agreed upon Receipt for £450. by us for these pieces of land, and the Surveyor shall lay off the lines of this new block, on the large Map.

(Signed)
Mahi P. Kawiti.
Wi Te Hakiro.
H. T. Kemp,
D. Commissr.

Witnesses—

(Sd.)
R. C. Barstow, R.M.
George M. Mitford, J.P.
William Tee Teete, Head of Runanga.
J. H. Greenway.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 25th, 1875.