Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 33.]

Deeds—No. 33.

Okokako Block, Bay of Islands District.

Na ko tenei pukapuka tuku whenua i tuhia i tenei ra i te toru (3) o nga ra o Aperira 1857. 3 April.Bay of Islands District. i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano waru rau rima tekau ma whitu (1857). He pukapuka tino whakaae pono na matou na nga Rangatira na nga Putake o te whenua kia Okokako. tukua paitia tetahi wahi o to matou oneone kia Wikitoria ki te Kuini o Ingarangi hei whenua oti atu mona mo nga Pakeha ake tonu atu. Ko te ingoa nui o taua whenua ko Okokako ko Kauaewiri.

Ko nga kaha koia enei.

Ko nga kaha enei o te whenua nei. Ko te Waimata ko te Toko kei te taha ki te Boundaries. ita ka whiti ki Rahoeka ka haere i roto i te wai a ka tata ki te putanga ki Kauaewiri ka poka ki te Wai nui te putanga ko nga mahinga o nga pononga o te Arahi otira ko nga Kei te Waimate. tino kaha koia ia ko nga kaha o roto o te pukapuka o te Kai ruri whenua i te tukunga o taua whenua ki te Kawanatanga o Nui Tireni.
A no te mea kua tino whakaae pu matou kia tino tukua tenei whenua ki te Kuini o Ingarangi no reira kua tukua mai e ia kia matou hei utu, E toru tekau ma rima o nga pauna moni (£35) Na te Henare Kepa i tuku mai ki o matou ringaringa na tetahi o nga Receipt for £35. Kai tuku whenua o te Kawanatanga o Nui Tireni a ko te tohu o to matou whakaaetanga o te rironga mai hoki o nga moni koia tenei ka oti nei o matou ingoa me o matou tohu te whakapiri ki tenei pukapuka i tenei ra i te 3 o nga ra o Aperira 1857.

Wi te Puhi teTane.
Ko Wi Kohoho.
(Signed by Wi te Puhi.)
Wiremu Hau.
Ko te Koti Tuwharerangi.
Ko Pikimaui.
Raniera Te Keto.

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

Witnesses—Kai Titiro—

Parapaerau, Rewa's son, of Kororareka.
Hohaia, of Waimate, Tuwarerangi's son.

Translation.

This Deed made or written on this the third day of April in the year of Our Lord One 1857. 3 April.Bay of Islands District. thousand eight hundred and fifty seven (1857) is a Deed by which we the Chiefs being the rightful owners of the soil consent of our own free will to transfer a portion of this our land to Victoria the Queen of England to become her possession for ever for Okokako. the use and benefit of the white people for ever and ever. The principal name by which this piece of land is known is Okokako or Kauaewiri.

These are the Boundaries.

The Boundaries of the land are these it commences at the Waimata on the East by Boundaries. Te Toko from thence into the Rahoeka it follows the stream until it nearly reaches the point known as Kauaewiri from thence it proceeds until it reaches the main river (of Near Te Waimate. page 48Waitangi) near to the old plantation grounds belonging to te Arahi's people. The boundaries of the land are more particularly described as shewn on the plan of the survey made at the time of the sale of the land to the Government.
And inasmuch as we have thus freely given our consent to convey or transfer this land to the Queen of England She has in consideration thereof paid to us the sum of Receipt for £35. Thirty five Pounds (£35) sterling which money has been paid into our hands by Mr. Henry Kemp one of the Government officers for the purchase of land in New Zealand. And in token of our assent and of the receipt of the money we have hereunto affixed our names and marks on this the 3rd day of April 1857.

Wi te Puhi te Tane.
Ko Wi Kahoho.
(Signed by Wi te Puhi.)
Wiremu Hau.
Ko te Koti Tuwharerangi.
Ko Pikimaui.
Raniera Te Keto.

H. T. Kemp,
Dist. Commr.

Witnesses—

Parapaerau, Rewa's son, of Kororareka.
Hohaia, of Waimate, Tuwarerangi's son.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 12th August, 1874.