Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[declaration of James Wathen Preece]

I, James Wathen Preece, of the Province of Auckland, licensed Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—

1.That I was present together with Panapa Waihopi on the ninth day of August, 1869, and did see Hirini te Kani, Rutene Kiwhara, Kingi Hori, Tamihana Ruatapu, Henare Ruru, Wi Pere o Halbert, Hoera Kapuaroa, Riperata Kahutia, Kataraina Kahutia, Raharuhi Rukupo, Hori Karaka, Renata Ngarangi, Eparaima te Kura, Pita Ngungu, Rota Waipara, Keita Waere Wyllie, and Paora Parau sign the within written Deed.
2.That before the execution of the said deed by the above-named persons it was interpreted to them by me in the Native Language, and that my interpretation was correct and was understood by them.
3.The name of J. W. Preece, set and subscribed as that of one of the Witnesses attesting the due execution of the said deed, is of my proper handwriting, and I hold a Certificate under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867," which certificate is still in good force and effect.
4.The name Panapa Waihopi, set and subscribed as that of one of the Witnesses attesting the due execution of the said deed, is of his proper handwriting, and the same Panapa Waihopi is a male adult. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The New Zealand Act, 1865," "New Zealand Act, 1867," and "The Justices of Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Declared before me this tenth day of August, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-nine.

Henry A. H. Monro, J.P.,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.