Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 487.]

page 690

Deeds—No. 487.

Runanga No. 1 Block (Lease), Taupo Distsict.

1875. 3 February.Taupo District.This Deed made the third day of February in the year of Our Lord one thousand, Runanga No. 1. eight hundred and seventy five Between Te Paipa Te Murahuhu, Moemoe Te Taruna Te Tira Koroheke, Nikora Whakaunua, Maneana te Ariki, Te Hirawanu Tini, Apiata Tanirau, Peraniko Ngarimu, Moihi Te Huri, Rawiri Te ahu, Te Makarini Te Whakaruru, Ngahere Te Pataka, Hori Te Nohutu, Tuahine Petera, Witimoa Hone, Te Waiata Nohoke, Paekau Paretawhio, Te Matetahuna, Marama, Rawinia Rangihoa, Te Waihuri Ponaka, Kiekie Rangimanaaki, Heni Ngawaka, Peti Petera, Heni Manaena, Rihara Maka Kaimanawa, Pererika Harawena, Kara Te Whare, Petera Te Rangihiroa, Karauria Te Roto, Whiripo Rini, Ihaia Te Waru, Rukarei Te Marakai, Manuera Te Tuhi, Taniora Te Wakaiti, Te Rangi Kawhiua Tawhana Te Rangihiroa, Te Wano Taunga Kore, Pita Hone, Kemara Te Tuhi aboriginal Natives (hereinafter called the Lessors) of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that they the said Lessors do and each of them doth hereby demise and lease unto Her said Majesty Her successors and assigns, All that piece or parcel of land at Taupo in the District of Taupo in the province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand containing Boundaris. [43,400 acres.] by admeasurement Forty three thousand four hundred acres more or less and called or known by the name of Runanga number One, Bounded towards the North and North East by lines seventeen thousand four hundred and forty one links, forty four thousand nine hundred and fifty three links, twelve thousand five hundred and ten links, and eleven thousand five hundred and twenty six links, towards the South East by a line eight thousand and fifty nine links, towards the East by lines eight thousand three hundred and sixty eight links, sixty eight hundred and sixty eight links, twelve thousand nine hundred and seventy three links, fifteen thousand and nine links, twelve thousand four hundred and two links, and ten thousand three hundred and eighty six links, towards the South by a line five thousand seven hundred and eighty five links, and towards the South West by the Waipunga River to its junction with the Waiarua Stream, by a portion of the Waiarua Stream by lines twelve thousand four hundred and sixty six links, nine thousand four hundred and thirty five links, and one thousand eight hundred and sixty one. links and by the Otamatea Creek and towards the North West also by the Otamatea Creek being the North Eastern boundary of Runanga No. 2 be the said several measurements a little more or less, as the same is delineated on the plan drawn hereon and edged red, And all mines minerals timber and profits in or upon the said land Together with all rights easements and appurtenances to the said parcel of land belonging and all rights necessary for the enjoyment of the same, To Hold Lease for 30 years. the same unto Her said Majesty her successors and assigns for the term of Thirty years from the third day of February one thousand eight hundred and seventy five, Yielding and paying therefor during the said term the yearly rent or sum of One hundred pounds, such rent to be paid yearly on the anniversary of this agreement after adjudication of boundary disputes affecting the amount or division of the rentals and after due settlement thereof that is to say such rent becomes payable after such adjudication upon the third day of February in each and every year the first of sucn annual payments to be made on the said third day of February succeeding one thousand eight hundred and seventy five Provided always and it is hereby declared and agreed by and between the parties hereto that the receipt of any number of the said lessors for the payment of any rent hereby reserved will be a sufficient discharge for the payment of the same and will be as valid and effectual for all purposes as if the same had been signed by the whole of the said lessors—And the said Lessors do and each of them doth hereby for themselves their and each of their respective heirs executors administrators and assigns covenant, with Her said Majesty her successors and assigns that they the said Lessors or either of them their or either of their heirs executors administrators and assigns shall not nor will not during the continuance of the term hereby created sell mortgage or dispose of the said land or any part thereof or the title thereto without first obtaining the assent in writing of His Excellency the Governor of the Colony of New Zealand to every such proposed sale mortgage or disposition In Witness whereof, the said parties have hereunto subscribed their names.

Henry Mitchell,
Land Purchase Agent.

Werewere.
Nikora Wakaunua Nga taane.
Manaena Te Ariki.
Te Hirawanu Tini x his mark.
Apiata Tanirau x his mark.
Peraniko Ngarimu x his mark.
Moihi Te Huri x his mark.
Rawiri te Ahu x his mark.
Te Makarini te Whakaruru x his mark.
Ngahere te Pataka x his mark.
Te Paipa Te Murahuhu x his mark.
Hori te Nohotn.
Moemoe te Taruna x his mark.
Kiekie Rangimanaaki x his mark.
Heni Ngawaka x his mark.
Peti Petera.
Heni Manawa x his mark.
Rihara Maka Kaimanawa x his mark.
Pererika Huruwena.
Kara Te Whare.
Petera te Rangihiroa.
Karauria Te Roto x his mark.
Te Tira Koroheke x his mark.
Whiripo Rini x his mark.
page 691 Tuahine Petara x his mark.
Wahine.
Witimoa Hone x his mark.
Te Waiata Nohoke x his mark.
Paekau Paretawhio x his mark.
Te Matetahuna Te Marama x his mark.
Rawinia Rangihoa x his mark.
Te Waihuri Pouaka x his mark.
Nga Ihaia Te Waru.
Rukarei te Marakai.
Ko Manuera Te Tuhi.
Taniora te Wakaiti x his mark.
Te Rangi Kawhina.
Tawhana te Rangihiroa.
Te Wano Taungakore x his mark.
Pita Hone x his mark.
Kemara te Tuhi.

Signed by the aforesaid aboriginal Natives in the presence of—
Gilbert Mair, Sub. Insp., Licensed Interpreter.

Witness to signatures and marks of aforesaid aboriginal Natives—

John McGregor, Surveyor, Taupo.

This third day of February, eighteen hundred and seventy five.

Ko tenei pukapuka i tuhituhia i te toru o nga rao Pepuere Kotahi mano waru rau eMaori précis. whitu tekau ma rima na nga tangata Maori kua oti nei te haina a ratou ingoa i runga nei He tino tuku tuturu ki a Kuini Wikitoria to ratou whenua ko Runanga Nama wana te ingoa, e mau nei te mapi nei ki te taha, he whenua Reti mo nga tau E toru tekau ko te utu mo te tau kotahi rau pauna nakonei nga rohe ka timata i te Pito ki raro ki Whare Raurekau ka rere nga raina ruri whiti noa i Waipunga i Otueta tae noa ki Rangitaiki ki te puau o Otamatea ka haere i roto o Otamatea ka rere ki uta ka haere i roto o Waiarua tae atu ki Opurehu katahi ka haere i te taha ki te marangai o Waipunga awa tae noa ki te timatanga whare Raurekau ko nga eka o taua whenua o kei ana e wha tekau ma toru mano e wha rau.

I hereby certify that the terms of this Deed were carefully translated by me to the aforesaid Natives, and that they clearly understood the purport of the same.

Gilbert Mair,
Licensed Interpreter.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, and Certificate.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, August 18th, 1875.