Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 485.]

Deeds—No. 485.

Runanga No.2 Block, Taupo District.

1872. 15 July.Taupo DistrictTenei Pukapuka i tuhituhia I te Tekau ma rima o nga ra o Hurae Kotahi mano e waru rau e whitu tekau ma rua Na Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Runanga No. 2. Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Roera te Tauri Hori Tauri me Whakarongo na te takiwa anake o Taupo i roto i te Porowini o Akarana he tangata Maori no Niu Tireni o tetahi taha me tona Rangatiratanga me Kuini Wikitoria o tetehi taha e Whakaatu ana mo te whakaarotanga ki nga moni e whitu tekau ma rima pauna ki a a AperahamaWerewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira te Rangipumamao Hamauera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Roera te Tauri Hori Tauri me Whakarongo kua utua e Kuini Wikitom (ko te Whakaaetanga Receipt for £75. hoki tenei o te rironga o aua moni) ko ratou ara ko Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Roera Te Tauri Hori Tauri me Whakarongo ka tino tuku atu ka whakatumau atu ki a kuini Wikitoria ki nga Kinig Kuini ranei o muri i a ia me ana e tuku atu ai Katoa a te wahi whenua kei roto i te takiwa o Taupo me te Porowini o Akarana ko tetahi wahi hoki ia o te whenua e huaina ana e Meinga ana ko Runanga Nama 2 a ko tona rahinga i te ruritanga kotahi rau e waru tekau ma waru eka 188 e page 686Rua ruri (2) rahi tata atu iti tata iho ranei ko ona rohe i te taha ki te Rato me te Hauauru whaka te Rato ko te awa ko Paraoanui i te taha ki te Hauauru me te Rawhiti ko te awa ko Waiarua i te taha ki te Boundaries. [188a. 2r. Op.] Tonga ko te awa ko Manwa ara i te taha ki te Tonga whaka te Rato ko tetahi raina e rere ana mai i te awa nei i Paraoanui ki te awa nei ki Manawa ara e Rua mano e ono rau e iwa tekau (2690) riiki kua tino whakamaramatia na taua whenua i runga i te Mapi kua whakaauatia ki tenei pukapuka huia ki nga Take me nga mea katoa e pa ana e tata ana ranei ki taua wahi whenua me nga whaitaketanga katoa me nga tatanga me nga paanga katoa o Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Roera Te Tauri Hori Tauri me Whakarongo ki taua wahi whenua Kia tuturu tonu atu taua whenua me ona piringa katoa ki a Kuini Wikitoria ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri i a ia me ana e tuku atu ai ake tonu atu—A hei tohu mo te wakaaetanga o aua tangata kua tuhia nei e ratou o ratou ingoa i te ra me te tau kua tuhia i te timatanga o tenei pukapuka.

Aperahama Werewere.
Rawiri Kahia.
Roera Tauri.
Hori tauri.
Hamuera takurua.
mere hapi.
Wimaihi maniapoto.
Te Hira x his mark Te Rangipu
mamao.
Hami Pahiroa.
Heni Ngaone.
Whakarongo x her mark.

I tuhia e Aperahama Werewere Rawiri Kahia Roera Tauri Hori Tauri me Hamuera Takurua i te aroaro o—

H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter, Napier.
Geo. Thos. Fannin, Supr. Clerk, Napier.

I tuhia e taua Mere Hapi Wi Maihi Maniapoto me te Hira Te Rangipuinamao i te aroaro o—

H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter.
Walter Hallett, Licensed Surveyor Napier.

I tuhia e taua Heni Ngaone i te aroaro o—

Totaea Hemara, me
G. Ashley, Clerk to G. E. Lee, Solr., Napier.

I tuhia e taua Whakarorigo i te aroaro o—

Totaea Hemara, me
William Ellison, Surveyor, Napier.

Translation.
A.

1872. 15 July.Taupo DistrictThis Deed made the Fifteenth day of July One thousand eight hundred and seventy two Between Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao Runanga No. 2. Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Hemi Ngaone Te Roera Te Tauri Hori Tauri and Receipt for £75. Whakarongo all of the Taupo District in the Province of Auckland Aboriginal Natives of New Zealand of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of seventy five pounds to the said Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te RoeraTe Tauri Hori Tauri and Whakarongo paid by Her said Majesty Queen Victoria (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) They the said Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira te Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Roera Te Tauri Hori Tauri and Whakarongo Do hereby cede grant convey and assure unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and Assigns All that piece or parcel of land situate in the aforesaid Taupo District in the Province of Auckland being portion of that Block of land commonly called or known by the name of Runanga N6. 2 and containing by admeasurement one hundred and eighty eight (188) Acres two (2) roods more or less Boundaries. [188a. 2r. 0p.] and Bounded towards the West and North West by the Paraoanui Creek on the North and East by the Waiarua creek towards the South by the Manawa ara creek and towards the South West by a line from the Paraoanui creek to the Manawa ara creek two thousand six hundred and ninety (2690) links as the same is more clearly delineated on the Plan drawn in the Margin hereon, Together with all the Rights members and appurtenances to the said block of land belonging or appertaining and all the Estate right Title and interest of the said Aperahama Werewere Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao Hamuera Takurua Rawiri Kahia Mere Hapi Heni Ngaone Te Eoera Te Tauri Hori Tauri and Whakarongo therein and thereto To hold the said parcel of land together with the appurtenances thereto belonging unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and assigns for ever. In witness whereof the said, parties hereto have hereunto subscribed their names the day and year first above written.

Aperahama Werewere.
Rawiri Kahia.
Roera Tauri.
Hori Tauri.
Hamuera Takurua.
mere hapi.
Wi Maihi Maniapoto.
Te Hira Te Rangipumamao x his mark.
Hami Pahiroa.
Heni HariataNgaone.
Whakarongo x her mark

page 687

Signed by the said Aperahama Werewere Rawiri Kahia Roera Tauri Hori Tauri and Hamuera Takurua the above Deed having been first translated and explained to them in the presence of—
H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter, Napier.
Geo. Thos. Fannin, Supr. Clerk, Napier.

Signed by the said Mere Hapi Wi Maihi Maniapoto Te Hira Te Rangipumamao and Hami Pahiroa the above deed having been first explained and translated to them in the presence of—
H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter.
Walter Hallett Licensed Surveyor.

Signed by the said Heni Ngaone this 1st day of March 1873 the deed having been first translated and explained to her in the presence of—
J. P. Hamlin, Licd. Interpreter.
G. Ashley, Clerk to G. E. Lee, Solr., Napier.

Signed by the said Whakarongo this 17th day of March 1873 the deed having been first translated and explained to her in the presence of—
William Ellison, Surveyor, Napier.
J. P. Hamlin, Licd. Interpreter of Napier.

This is the translation referred to and marked A in the declaration of Henry Martyn Hamlin made before me this 20th day of July, 1872.

H. B. sealy, J. P.

[Declaration of Henry Martin Hamlin]

I, Henry Martin Hamlin, of Clive, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, do solemnly and Declaration of Henry Martyn Hamlin. sincerely declare—
  • 1. That I am a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts, 1865 and 67.
  • 2. That I was present on the fifteenth day of July, 1872 and did see Aperahama Werewere, Rawiri Kahia, Te Roera Tauri, Hori Tauri, and Hamuera Takurua sign the Within-written Deed of conveyance and annexed translation thereon, and that before they signed it I carefully interpreted and explained the contents thereof to them, and tne contents were fully understood by them previous to their respective execution thereof.
  • 3. That the said Deed of Conveyance and annexed translation thereof, dated 15th July, 1872, was on that day signed by the said Aperahama Werewere, Rawiri Kahia, Te Roera Tauri, Hori Tauri, and Hamuera Takurua, in the presence of myself and of George Thomas Fannin, of Napier, Superintendent's Clerk, a male adult European, and that we subscribed our names as the witnesses to their respective execution thereof.
  • 4. I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand.

H. M. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier, this 20th day of July, 1872, in the presence of—

H. B. Sealy,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

[Declaration of Josiah Pratt Hamlin]

I, Josiah Pratt Hamlin, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, do solemnly and Declaration of Josiah Pratt Hamlin. sincerely declare—
  • 1. That I am a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act, 1865 and '67.
  • 2. That I was present on the first day of March, 1873, and did see Heni Ngaone sign the within-written Deed of conveyance and annexed translation thereof, and that before she signed it I carefully interpreted and explained the contents thereof to her, and that the contents were fully understood by her previous to her execution thereof.
  • 3. That I was also present on the 17th day of March, and did see Whakarongo sign the within-written Deed of Conveyance and annexed translation thereof, and that before she signed it I carefully interpreted and explained the contents thereof to her.
  • 4. That the said Deed of Conveyance and annexed translation thereof, dated 15th July, 1872, was, on the 1st day of March and 17th day of March, signed by the said Heni Ngaone and Whakarongo, in the presence of myself and of George Ashley, Clerk, and of William Ellison, Surveyor, and that they are male European adults, and that we subscribed our names as the witnesses to their respective executions thereof.
page 688

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and the Native Lands Act now in force in New Zealand.

J. P. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier, this twentieth day of March, 1873, in the presence of—

A. Kennedy,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

720o.

Registration. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 21 July, 1874.

(l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 25th, 1875.