Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Josiah Pratt Hamlin]

[Declaration of Josiah Pratt Hamlin]

I, Josiah Pratt Hamlin, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, do solemnly and Declaration of Josiah Pratt Hamlin. sincerely declare—
  • 1. That I am a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act, 1865 and '67.
  • 2. That I was present on the first day of March, 1873, and did see Heni Ngaone sign the within-written Deed of conveyance and annexed translation thereof, and that before she signed it I carefully interpreted and explained the contents thereof to her, and that the contents were fully understood by her previous to her execution thereof.
  • 3. That I was also present on the 17th day of March, and did see Whakarongo sign the within-written Deed of Conveyance and annexed translation thereof, and that before she signed it I carefully interpreted and explained the contents thereof to her.
  • 4. That the said Deed of Conveyance and annexed translation thereof, dated 15th July, 1872, was, on the 1st day of March and 17th day of March, signed by the said Heni Ngaone and Whakarongo, in the presence of myself and of George Ashley, Clerk, and of William Ellison, Surveyor, and that they are male European adults, and that we subscribed our names as the witnesses to their respective executions thereof.
page 688

I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and the Native Lands Act now in force in New Zealand.

J. P. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier, this twentieth day of March, 1873, in the presence of—

A. Kennedy,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

720o.

Registration. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 21 July, 1874.

(l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 25th, 1875.