This Deed written on this fourth 4th day of the month of
July in the year of our Lord 1854. 4 July.Kawhia District. One thousand eight hundred and fifty four 1854 is a paper of the full
consent of us the chiefs and freemen of Ngatimaniapoto to transfer for ever a
certain portion of our Land to Victoria the Queen of England to the Kings or
Queens who may succeed her for ever. Harihari No. 1
The Boundaries of the land are as follows:—Commencing on the north side at
Boundaries. Waihekura thence to Orore, thence to Pukehokio, thence to Puketarata,
thence to Pamaikaika thence in a direct line to Maungakohe where it turns and
runs to Te Paeangauawha thence turning it runs to the stream Huarua and on to
Karu o te rangi, thence it proceeds down the Tauhua stream to te Anotangi and on
to the sea.
And in consideration of our consent to give up this land the Queen of England
consents to pay us the sum of Five hundred pounds £500 once told, Two hundred
pounds (£200) of these monies we have this day received from Mr. McLean, and
when the survey has been completed the remaining sum of Three hundred pounds
(£300) Receipt for £200, first instalment.Balance left, £300. will be paid to us—being the final payment for the land with its timber,
minerals and all thereunto appertaining for ever. The principal name of the land
is Harihari situated between Kawhia and Marokopa.
And in testimony of our full consent to all the particulars of this Deed we
hereunto subscribe our names and signs and in testimony of the consent of the
Queen of England the name of Donald McLean Land Purchase Commissioner is
hereunto subscribed. Donald McLean,
Ko te Waitere Pumipi x his mark.
John Hobbs Tamaha.
Wetini Mahikai x his mark.
Ko te Hira te Whitu x his mark.
Wakatari x his mark.
Taukawe x his mark.
Witness to the payment of these monies, and signing of these names—
(Signed) John White, Interpreter.
Archd. A. McInnes, Clerk in Native Dept.
Russell, Settler, Wairarapa.
March 17, 1856.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.
H. Hanson Turton.
July 12th, 1875.