Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

1857. 4 September.Whaingaroa District.Know all men by these Presents that on this fourth 4 day of September in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand eight hundred and fifty seven 1857 I the Undersigned Aboriginal Native Chief of New Zealand In Consideration of the Sum of Five Pounds £5 to me paid by John Rogan Esquire on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Victoria (the Receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) Do hereby Sell Release and Convey unto Her Part of Te Mata. said Majesty Queen Victoria Her Heirs Successors and Assigns All that Piece or Parcel of Land called Te Mata. The Boundary commences at Opotoru at the Land sold by Boundaries. Paratene for the sum of Twenty Pounds £20 thence on to the Ridge of Paraoa thence to Pukemoro thence to te Kauri thence descending to the Opotoru River thence along the course of the Opotoru River till it reaches the place sold by Paratene. There the Boundaries meet. And all the Rights and Appurtenances thereunto belonging and all my Right Title Interest Claim and Demand whatsoever therein and thereto To Hold the said Land and Appurtenances unto Her said Majesty Her Heirs and Assigns absolutely for ever. The sum of One Hundred and seven pounds £107 was received by Our Children on the sixth 6 day of May in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand eight hundred and fifty four 1854. In Witness of which receipts I have hereunto subscribed My Name.

(Signed) John Rogan, District Commissr.
The mark x of Te Waka.

Signed in the presence of—

(Sd.) Henry Monro.
Elwin B. Dickson.

Received on this fourths 4 day of September One thousand eight hundred and fiftyReceipt for £5. seven the Sum of Five Pounds £5 The full consideration money expressed in the abovewritten Deed to be paid by John Rogan Esquire on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen to Me.

(Signed) The mark of x Te Waka.

Signed in the presence of—

Henry Monro.
Elwin B. Dickson.

True Translation of Deed and Receipt.

John Rogan, District Commissioner.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 28th, 1874.