Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 413.]

Deeds—No. 413.

Te Taruna Block (Grant to Rachel Edwards), Waipa District.

Ko matou, ko nga rangatira, me nga tangata e mau nei nga ingoa ki tenei pukapuka 1856. 25 April.Waipa District. e whakaae pu ana i tenei ra i te rua tekau ma rima o nga ra o Aperiera 1856 i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1856 kia tino tukua rawatia te wahi o to matou, Kainga e mau nei Te Taruna. te ahua ki tenei pukapuka ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini, ki nga Kingi, Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
Ara ko te tikanga e tino tukua ai e matou tenei wahi, e hiahia ana matou kia Free gift for Rachel Edwards. wakatumautia taua Kainga e te Kawanatanga o Nui Tireni mo Rachal Edwards ratou ko ona tamariki.
Ka timata te rohe ki te Taruna, ka rere i roto te Repo, ka rere wakarunga ki Boundaries.[4a. 2r. 3p.] te Rori no Rangiawhia ki te Puniu, ka ahu i runga i te ruritanga tutaki noa ki te Taruna.

Na Warana.
Ahukaramu.
Pita.
Matena.
Patu Hoe.

Nga kai titiro i te tuhitanga o enei ingoa—

Walter Harsant, Resident Magistrate, Reepham, near Otawhao.
Clarence E. Vickers, Settler, Rangiawhia.
Robt. R. Hooper, Settler, Orakau.
James Shepherd, Settler, Maungatautari.

Translation.

1856. 25 April.Waipa District.We the Chiefs and people whose names are subscribed to this Deed, fully agree on this the twenty-fifth day of April, in the year of our Lord 1856, to finally surrender that portion of our place, the plan of which is attached to this Deed, to Victoria the Queen of England, and to the Kings or Queens who may succeed Her for Te Taruna. ever.
That is to say, the reason that we surrender this place is that we desire that the Free gift for Rachel Edwards. Government of New Zealand shall settle that place on Rachel Edwards and her children.
The boundary commences at te Taruna, and runs thence in the Swamp in a Boundaries.[4a. 2r. 3p.] southerly direction to the road from Rangiawhia to the Puniu, and thence in the survey line until it reaches te Taruna.

(Sd.) Warana.
Ahukaramu.
Pita.
Matena.
Patuhoe.

Witnesses to these signatures—

(Sd.) Walter Harsant, Resident Magistrate, Reepham, near Otawhao.
Clarence E. Vickers, Settler, Rangiawhia.
Robt. R. Hooper, Settler, Orakau.
James Shepherd, Settler, Maungatautari.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 11th, 1875.