Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 411.]

page 572

Deeds—No. 411.

Te Tomo Block, Waipa District.

1855. 13 July.Waipa District.Ko matou ko nga rangatira me nga tangata e mau nei nga ingoa ki tenei pukapuka E Te Tomo. whakaae pono ana i tenei ra i te tahi tekau ma toru (13) o nga ra o Hurai i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1855 kia hokona kia tino tukua rawatia tetahi wahi o to matou whenua ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu. Boundaries. Ka timata te rohe ki Ruapaha ka rere i runga i te ruritanga o Herangi ki Waimanu ka rere ki Purehurehu ka rere ki te Tomo ka ahu i runga i te ruritanga i te Tomo tutaki noa ki Ruapaha. A mo to matou tino tuku tino hoko tino tuku rawa i tenei whenua i tenei ra e whiti nei e whakaae ana a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani mona kia utua matou ki nga Receipt for £20. pauna moni e rua tekau (£20 . 0 . 0) takitahi ko aua moni kua riro mai ki o matou ringaringa i tenei ra na te Makarini i homai.

Te Kaatea.
Ko Rewi.
The mark x of Porokoru Titipa.

Nga Kai Titiro i enei homaitanga utu me enei ingoa—

John Morgan, Minister of the District of Otawhao.
Will. N. Searancke, Surveyor.

Translation.

1855. 13 July.Waipa District.We the Chiefs and people whose names are affixed to this document fully consent on this thirteenth day of July in the year of Our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty five (1855) to give up a certain portion of our land to Victoria the Queen of England and to Te Tomo. the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever. The boundary commences at Ruapaha Boundaries. following the survey line of Herangi (Searancke) to Waimanu thence to Purehurehu thence to te Tomo and along the survey line of te Tomo till it meets at Ruapaha. Receipt for £20. And in consideration of our selling giving up and altogether surrendering this land under the shining sun of this day Victoria the Queen of England agrees to pay us the sum o Twenty Pounds (£20) which monies we have this day received from Mr. McLean.

(Signed) Te Kaatea and 2 others.

Witnesses to the payment and signatures—

John Morgan, Minister of the District of Otawhao.
Will. N. Searancke, Surveyor.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 8th, 1875.