This Deed conveying land written on this fourteenth (14) day
of July in the year one 1854. 14 July. thousand eight hundred and fifty four (1854) is a Document of our full
consent to give Piako District. up for ever a certain portion of our Land to the Queen of England to the
Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever which land is situated at Piako and
Hauraki.— Opou, &c. The boundaries are as follows The first portion Opou—The outer boundary
commences Boundaries: at Te Puoho and runs inland in the course of that stream to Ngaherehere
and on to the 1. Opou. Karaka where it turns towards Wangaihou thence to the streams Tupapaku
and in the course of the Piako river to Puoho. The second portion Okahu—The
outer boundary 2. Okahu. commences at Wanaki thence in a direct line inland to Okupapa where it
turns towards Waiinu o Whangaihou thence to Waitake and down the Piako stream to
Wanaki. The third portion Te Haroto—The outer boundary commences at Kopuraruai
thence inland 3. Te Haroto. to Rangitepu and onwards till it joins the land which was sold by Epiha
and on to Piako down which river it proceeds to Kopuraruai. The fourth portion
Te Awamatai—The 4. Awamatai. outer boundary commences at Koruatima thence inland to Waiwara thence to
the Aute and Rangihou and down the Piako river to Kariotimu.
We hereby agree to point out the boundaries to the Surveyors when also the
total amount of payment will be decided upon. We have received the sum of one
hundred Receipt for £100, pounds as a first instalment. This land we have given up to the Queen
for ever with first instalment, its trees and all above or below the surface whereof we hereunto affix
our names and marks.
Keha Mare his x mark.
Ngawaka te Werene.
Mclnnes, Clerk in Native Dept.
John White, Interpreter.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.
Wellington, August 4th, 1875.