Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of George Thomas Wilkinson, interpreter]

[Declaration of George Thomas Wilkinson, interpreter]

I, George Thomas Wilkinson, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony Interpreter's declaration. of New Zealand, a duly authorized Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "1867," "1869," and "1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with Daniel Pollen, of Auckland aforesaid, Donald McLean, of Wellington in the Province of Wellington, George H. Davies, also of Wellington, and Edward Walter Puckey, of Shortlapd aforesaid, all male adults, and did see Te Hoia te Tuiri, Riria Karape, Takerei te Putu, Porereka te Putu, Hori te Ngatete, Ema te Aoru, Harata-Patene, Wikitoria Nohohau Arama Karaka, Hatara Ngatai, Pukepoto Pokai, Wiremu Hoete Keepa, Te Wano te Paura, Matiu Poono, Meha, Honana Potiki, Paraku te Uia, Haora Tupaea, Hera Hopihana, Tahana Potiki, Peke Haora, Tineia, Kemara Tiraruahine, Karauria Paka, Arapeta Hoia, Rupene te Piau, Hunia teWeu, Hone Mete, Teira te Puru, Ngahana Koraria, Harata Paraone, Ruia Kemara, Miriama Kawehe, Timotiu te Aumoana, Wiremu Hopihona te Popo, Karaitiana Kihau, Ruihana Kawhero, Mataia, Wi Koka Unahi, Peneamine te Hikaiti, Mere Kuru, Mere Titia, Aherata te Mihinui, Hemi Kaihi, Wi Kotero, Tamati Paetai, Hakipene Hura, Te Ake Ake, Te Amo Paetai, Wikiriwhi Hautonga, Wikitoria Rangipiki, Te Tahi-o-te-rangi, Neha Potiki, Rakena Tuhaiti, Piahana, Ekiera Potiki, Hone te Kiripakeke, Hirawa te Moananui, Te Teira Tara, Haora Tareranui, Keremenita Matehaere, Nepihana Tuiri, Wharara, Teretiu Kingi, Tareranui, Te Paroa Kingi, Horopapera, Hone Ngatara, Hoia, Pereniki te Kokako, Karauria Tairoa, Pita te Haugi, Paraiana, Te Warana, Tupeka te Whakamau, Te Rerehu, Hoera te Mimiha, Pera Reweti, Renata Tamati, Te Mimiha, Rewi te Manawa, Makutu Tamati, Pohipi Hohua, Hapi Rewi, Hirawini te Karawhiu, Miriama Nganeko, Kararaina Motutarata, Mereana te Popu, Tuihana Tahana, Hapainga Taraipene, To Hiriani, Te Keepa Raharuhi, Waata Tipa, designated as Grantors in the annexed Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
2.That I was also present together with William Robinson, of Shortland aforesaid, a male adult, and did see Rawiri te Hautaku, Ani Patene te Hapa, Pikaka, Wiremu Utu-tangata, Maraea te Huia, and Te Whetu Patara, also designated as Grantors in the annexed Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
3.That I was also present together with Litton Forbes, of Ohinemuri, in the Province of Auckland, a male adult, and did see Rihitoto Mataia and Wiremu Maihi, also designated as Grantors in the annexed Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
4.That I was also present together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, a male adult, and did see Hariata Marakai Ngato, Riki Paka, Hohepa Kapene, Turiwhati te Poho, Parepumate, Ririaani, Te Whareumu, Rota Tamatea, Tarapipipi te Kopara, Mihi Tarapipipi, Herewini Matehaere, Hori Pokai Rakena, Rapata te Pokiha, Rihi te Ao, and Ngatai, also designated as Grantors in the annexed Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
5.That I was also present together with John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland aforesaid, a male adult, and did see Paora Patara, Hana Hopihana, Tinipoaka te Ngako, Pita te Heihei, Pereniki te Amokete, Rini Wiremu Karaka, Peti Oriwia, Remihia, Tekoroneho Kotia, Winikerei Patara, Ririani Whehihi, Ropata Ngatai, Te Amokura, Ereatara Taraia, Maringi Karauria, Ihimaira, Hariata Tana Parepumate, Ranapia, Ripeka Kemara, Mihi Pokai, Rawiri te Wakaiti, Peka Panapa, Himiona Haira, Paraone te Maupu, Tamara Takuna, Timiuha Ngatikoi, Ngakapa Whanaunga, Waituruturu, Hemi te Kuri, Winiata Whaiapu, Hata Paka, Pineaha Wharekowhai, Erekana, Kapihana Makaore, Timoti te Huia, Kahupeka Paetai, and Oriwia Paemuri, also designated as Grantors in the annexed Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
6.That all the signatures and marks of the said Grantors were made by them respectively, and in my presence.page 548
7.That before the execution of the said annexed Deed by them, the said Grantors, I did translate the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct, and was perfectly understood by them the said Grantors respectively.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-mentioned Acts, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

George T. Wilkinson.

Made and declared at Ohinemuri, in the Province aforesaid, this twenty-fourth day of March, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-five. Before me—

Albert J. Allom,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Declaration.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 27th, 1876.