Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of J. W. Preece.I, James Wathen Preece, of Auckland, in the province of Auckland, in the colony of New Zealand, a duly authorized Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present with John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the said province and colony, a duly authorized Native Interpreter, a male adult, and did see Herewini Te Rangai Ngahuia Ngakaho Rawiri Te Whakaiti Marara Hikori Heta Te Hapoki Tamati Paetai Te Amo Paetai Hakipene Hura Ngapuhoro Paitaki Aperahama Pokai Hatara Ngatai and Anetehia Pahau, in the within-written deed mentioned and described, duly sign and execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
2. That the signatures Herewini Te Rangai Ngahuia Ngakaho Rawi Te Wakaiti Marara Hikori Heta Te Hapoki Tamati Paetai Te Amo Paetai Hakipene Hura Ngapuhoro Paetaki Aperahama Pokai Hatara Ngatai and Hana Teiha Panau to the said Deed subscribed are of the proper handwriting of the said parties to the said Deed immediately hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated.
3. That I was present with the said John William Richard Guilding, and did see Matiu Paraki Te Pamahue Te Rakiraki Hone Te Huiraukura Perenera Te Wharaunga Hera Paramataiti Paranihia Whakahau Miriama Konehu and Mata Te Kura, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting their respective marks or crosses thereto.
4. That the marks or crosses set opposite to the respective names of the said Matiu Paraki Te Pamahue Te Rakiraki Hone Te Huiraukura Perenera Te Whauraunga Hera Paramataiti Paranihia Whakahau Miriama Konehu and Mata Te Kura were made by them in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
5. That the names or signatures J. W. Preece and J. W. R. Guilding are of the proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding and of me this declarant.
6. That immediately before the execution of the said deed by the said aboriginal Natives or parties before mentioned being parties to the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to them and each of them into the Maori language, and that my translation was correct, and was understood by all of them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment page 539Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province of Auckland, Colony of. New Zealand, the twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.