Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. I, John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland, Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present, together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, agent, a male adults and did see Miriama Pehi Pukukauri and Kahukore te Taniwha, aboriginal Natives, mentioned and described in the within written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting their respective marks or crosses thereto, they being illiterate persons and unable to write, the said Deed having been first read over and translated and carefully explained to them
2.That the marks or crosses set opposite to the names of the said aboriginal Natives immediately hereinbefore mentioned were made by the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri and Kahukore te Taniwha in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halloran.
3.That I was present with the said Gerald O'Halloran; did see Hone Ropiha Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga and Hori Mahia, in the within Deed mentioned and described, duly execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halioran.
4.That I was present with John Elliers Dodd, of Shortland aforesaid, Solicitor, a male adult, and did see Reihana Poto Tu Karamaene and Weka Toheriri, in the within Deed mentioned and described, duly execute the same in my presence and in the presence of the said John Elliers Dodd.
5.That the signatures J. W. E. Guilding, Gerald O'Halloran, J. E. Dodd, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Halloran, John Elliers Dodd, and of me this declarant.
6.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said parties, I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation was correct, and was understood by them and each of them. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealancl intituled "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866.

J. W. R. Guilding.

Made and declared at Auckland, in the Province of Auckland, Colony of New Zealand, the eighteenth day of March, in the year one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

William C. Daldy,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

page 510Registrar's certificate. Auckland, 11th June, 1873.—I hereby certify that the Duty payable under the Native Lands Act on the within lease amounts to Seven Pounds fourteen shillings and threepence on Rent and Premium in one payment, and a further sum of One Pound and three shillings "annually" for survey duty. 73/69.

Geo. B. Davy,
Regr. of Deeds.

Sub-Treasurer's receipt for £8 . 17 . 3. Received the above-named sum of seven pounds fourteen shillings and threepence, and 1st annual payment of one pound three shillings.

Daniel Pollen,
Sub-Treasurer. Auckland,

20th June, 73. Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries. Dated this 7th day of November, 1873.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commissioner.
The Deeds Register Office, Auckland,

27th July, 1875. I hereby certify that the foregoing is a correct copy (with the exception of the linkages) of the Lease (Timber) numbered 3641d, the same having been examined with the Record Copy thereof in Volume D7, page 458.

(l.s.) M. Hamtlton,
Dep. Registrar of Deeds.

A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Lease, Declarations, and Certificates.

H. Hanson Turton. Wellington, November 3rd, 1875.