Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of Jas. Wathen Preece. I, James Wathen Preece, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland, Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present, together with John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the said province and colony, a duly licensed Native Interpreter, a male adult, and did see Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga aud Hone Mahia, in the within deed mentioned and described, duly sign and execute the same in my presence, and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.
2.That the signatures "Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga" and Hone Mahia to the said deed subscribed are of the respective proper handwriting of the said Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga and Hone Mahia.
3. That I was present with William Henry Grace, of Shortland, aforesaid, a duly licensed Native Interpreter, a male adult, and saw KarukinoTe Taniwha, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same in my presence, and in the presence of the said William Henry Grace.
4. That the signature "Karukino Te Taniwha," subscribed to the said deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said Karukino Te Taniwha.
5. That I was present with the said John William Richard Guilding, and did see Kahukore Te Taniwha, mentioned and described in the said deed, duly sign and execute the same, by adhibiting her mark or cross thereto in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guildirig, she being an illiterate person.
6. That the mark or cross "x" immediately below the name of the said Kahukore Te Taniwha, was made by her in my presence, and in the presence of the said John William Richard Guilding.page 507
7. That I was present, together with George Winter, of Auckland aforesaid, clerk, a male adult, and did see Hera Tiki, mentioned and described in the within-written deed, duly sign and execute the same, by adhibiting her mark or cross thereto, she being an illiterate person and unable to write.
8. That the mark or cross "x," set opposite to the name, of the said Hera Tiki on the said deed, was made by her in my presence, and in the presence of the said Greorge Winter.
9. That the signatures "J. W. R. Guilding," "W. H. Grace," "Geo. Winter," and "J. W. Preece," to the said deed subscribed as those of the attesting Witnesses to the execution of the same by the said parties, are of the respective proper names and handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding, William Henry Grace, George Winter, and of me, this declarant.
10. That immediately before the execution of the deed before mentioned to the said parties, I did interpret the same to them and each of them, and that my translation was correct and by them understood. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland, in the said province and colony, the twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.
3988d.
Received for Registration at 2 p.m. 21 July, 1874.Registration
(l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Deputy Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, and Endorsements.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 24th, 1874.