Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 371.]

Deeds—No. 371.

Whangamata No. 5 Block, Hauraki District.

1873 13 JanuaryHauraki District.This Deed made the thirteenth day of January one thousand eight hundred and seventy WhangamataNo. V. three Between Ruihana Kawhero Riria Karepe Rawiri Taiporutu Hone Mahia Anaru Paha Paha Haora Tupaea Timoti Piritaha Karaitiana Kihau Hemi Titiparu Hunia Te Weu Wiremu Hopihona Mereana Karepe Te Ranapia te Ruri karauria Te Puketapu Rangituia Arama Karaka Hori Te Ngatete Rangi te auria Ripeka Rangitokona Rawinia page 497Te Teretere Harata Noki Wiremu Karaka Te Tahura Taumaha Ruihana Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga Tuterei Karewa Eru Mokongohi Eru Teretiu Te Aorere Wiremu Patene Patene Raukura Wiremu Te Aramoana Hera Tiki Ihipera Tiki Hera Puna Mere Karaitiana Wikiriwhi Te Pokiha Hohepa Mahia Tukaramaene Hemi Te Ahipu Neri Mahia Tauaka Pareatua Parakaia Pokaia Hare Mahia Matenga Ngaupara Pumipi Pararewa Hohepa Mataitaua Peneamine Kawhena Riki Mahia Eru Pakiuma Te Koki Tiratini Maraea Titiparu Tupeka Hawea Hokaia Hera Kaimanu Mere Kaimanu Maraea Kaimanu Te Awa-i-hoea Te Taniwha Karu kino Te Taniwha Mohi Mangakahia Hoani Nahe Wiremu Netana all of the tribes of Ngatimatau and Ngatikaraua residing in the District of Hauraki province of Auckland colony of New Zealand (hereinafter called the said Vendors) of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of One thousand three hundred pounds paid by Her said Majesty Queen Victoria to the said Vendors Receipt for £1,300. before the execution hereof the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged They the said Vendors Do and Each and Every of them Doth hereby convey and assure Unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and assigns All that piece or parcel of land containing by admeasurement Five thousand eight hundred and eighty nine acres [5,889 acres.] more or less situate in the District of Hauraki in the province and colony aforesaid and called or known as Whangamata Number Five the several boundaries of which said piece or parcel of land and the several measurements of the Boundary lines thereof are particularly shewn and set out on the plan of the piece or parcel of land hereby conveyed drawn hereon Together with all the rights easements members and appurtenances thereto belonging and all deeds thereto relating And all other rights which the said Vendors or any of them have or may have in to or out of the said piece or parcel of land To Hold the same premises Unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successors and assigns for ever In Witness whereof the said parties have hereunto subscribed their names the day and year first hereinbefore written.

Karaitiana Kihau.
Wiremu Hopiona.
Mere Karaitiana x her mark.
Neri Mahia x his mark.
Wiremu Netana x his mark.
Mere Kaimanu x her mark.
Riki Mahia x his mark.
Ihipera Tiki.
Hare Mahia x his mark.
Maraea Kaimanu x her mark.
Me reana Kare Pe.
Hawea Hokaia x his mark.
Wiremu Te Aramoana.
Te Aorere x her mark.
Hera Tiki x her mark.
Tamaki Pareratua x her mark.
Eru Mokongohi x his mark.
parakaia pokaia.
peneamene kawhena.
Karu kino te taniwha.
Hohepa Mahia.
Hunia te Weu.
Rangi te Aoria x her mark.
tupeka.
Hori te Ngatete.
Te Ranapia te Ruri x his mark.
Mohi Mangakahia.
Ripeka Rangitokona x her mark.
Harata Noki x her mark.
Te Tahura x his mark.
Taumaha Ruihana x her mark.
Maraea Titiparu x her mark.
Te Ruihana Kawhero x his mark
Hone Mahia.
Na te Koki tiratini.
hohepa mataitau.
hera Kaimanu.
Rawiri Taiporutu.
Timoti Piritaha x his mark.
Hemi te Ahipu.
Wiremu Karaka x his mark.
Wikiriwhi te Pokiha x his mark.
Anaru pahapaha.
Eru Pakiuma x his mark.
Hemi Titiparu x his mark.
Rawinia Te Teretere x his mark.
Wiremu Patene x his mark.
Eru Teretiu x his mark.
Pumipi Pararewa x his mark.
Hoani Nahe.
Patene Raukura.
Tuterei Karewa x his mark.
matenga ngaupara.
hera puna.
w Te Awa i Hoea Te Taniwha x.
her mark.
hori nga kapa whanaunga.
Tu Kara ma ene.
Haora Tupaea.
Riria Karepe x her mark.
Arama Karaka x his mark.
Karuria puke tapu. Rangituia.

Signed by the said Te Ruihana Kawhero Hone Mahia Te Koki Tiratini Hohepa Mataitawa Hera Kaimanu Rawiri Taiporutu Timoti Piritaha Hemi Te Ahipu Wiremu Karaka Wikiriwhi te Pokiha Anaru Pahapaha Eru Pakiuma Hemi Titiparu Rawinia Te Teretere Wiremu Patene Eru Teretiu Pumipi Pararewa Hoani Nahe Patene Raukura Tuterei Karewa Matenga Ngaupara Hera Puna Te Awa-i-Hoe Te Taniwha Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga Tu Karamaene Haora Tupaea Riria Karepe Arama Karaka Karauria page 498Puketapu Rangituia Karaitiana Kihau Wiremu Hopihona and Mere Karaitiana in the presence of us—

J. W. Preece, Licensed Interpreter, Auckland
J. W. R. Guilding, Licensed Interpreter, Shortland.

Signed by the said Neri Mahia Wiremu Natana Mere Kaimanu Riki Mahia Ihipera Tiki Hare Mahia Maraea Kaimanu Mereana Karepe and Hawea Hokaia in the presence of us—

J. W. Preece, Licensed Interpreter, Auckland.
Robert Callaway, Miner, Coromandel.

Signed by the said Wiremu te Aramoana Te Aorere Hera Tiki Tauaki Pareatua Eru Mokongohi and Parakaia Pokaia in the presence of us—

Alfred Preece, Settler, Coromandel.
Whaka Tai, Aboriginal Native, Waiau.

Signed by the said Peneamene Kawhena in the presence of us—

Alfred Preece, Settler, Coromandel.

Signed by the said Karukino Te Taniwha in the presence of us—

Te Whatarangi, Aboriginal Native, Wharekawa.

Signed by the said Hohepa Mahia in thepresence of us—

Grerald O'Halloran, Agent, Shortland.

Signed by the said Hunia te Weu Rangi Te Aoria Tupeka and Hori te Ngatete in the presence of us—

J. W. Preece, Interpreter, Auckland.
Phillip Bennett, Store Keeper, Ohinemuri.

Signed by the said Te Ranapia te Ruri in the presence of us—

James Mackay, Jr., Land Agent, Shortland.
E Pa Raima Kingi, Aboriginal Native, Ohinemuri.

Signed by the said Maraea Titiparu in the presence of—

W. H. Grace, Licensed Interpreter, Shortland.
Na Kiharoa, Aboriginal Native, Mangakahia.

Signed by the said Mohi Mangakahia in the presence of us—

William A. Graham, Licensed Interpreter, Auckland.
John McFarlane, Storekeeper, Wangapoua.

Signed by the said Mohi Mangakahia Ripeka Rangitokona Harata Noki Te Tahura and Taumaha Ruihana in the presence of us—

William A. Graham, Licensed Interpreter, Auckland.
Arthur Footer, Bushman, Whitianga.

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of Jas. Wathen Preece. I James Wathen Preece of Auckland in the Province of Auckland and Colony of' New Zealand a Licensed Interpreter duly authorised in terms of law Do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare as follows—
1.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding of Shortland in the said Province and Colony Licensed Interpreter a male adult and did see Ruihana Kawhero, Hone Mahia, Te Koki Tiratini, Hohepa Mataitawa, Hera Kaimanu, Rawiri Taiporutu, Timoti Piritaha, Hemi te Ahipu, Wiremu Karaka, Wikiriwihi te Pokiha, Anaru Pahapaha, Eru Pakiuma, Hemi Titiparu, Rawinia Te Teretere, Wiremu Patene, Eru Teretiu, Pumipi Pararewa, Hoani Nawe, Patene Raukura, Tuterei Karewa, Matenga Ngaupara, Hera Puna, Te Awa i Hoe Te Taniwha, Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga, Tu Karamaene, Haora Tupaea, Riria Karepe, Arama Karaka, Karauria Puketapu, Rangituia, Karaitiana Kihau, Wiremu Hopihona, and. Mere Karaitiana, mentioned and described in the within-written deed, sign and execute the same.
2.That the signatures Hone Mahia, Te Koki Tiratini, Hohepa Mataitawa, Hera Kaimanu, Rawiri Taiporutu, Hemi Te Ahipu, Anaru Pahapaha, Hoani Nahe, Patene Raukura, Matenga Ngaupara, Hera Puna, Hori Ngakapa Whanaunga, Tu Karamaene, Haora Tupaea, Karauria Puketapu, Rangituia, Karaitiana Kihau and Wiremu Hopihona are of the proper handwriting of the said persons mentioned in this clause of this declaration, being the second.
3.That I was present with the said John William Richard Guilding, and did see page 499Ruihana Kawhero, Timoti Piritaha, Wiremu Karaka, Wikiriwihi te Pokiha, Eru Pakiuma, Hemi Titiparu, Rawinia Te Teretere, Wiremu Patene, Eru Teretiu, Pumipi Pararewa, Tuterei Karewa, Te Awa I Hoe To Taniwha, Riria Karape, Arama Karaka and Mere Karaitiana, mentioned and described in the said deed, in my presence and in the presence of the said John William Richard Gruilding, duly execute the said deed by setting their marks thereto, they being illiterate persons.
4.That the mark or cross x set opposite to each of the names of the persons lately mentioned in this declaration, were made by the said parties in my presence.
5.That immediately before the execution of the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them.
6.That I was present together with Alfred Preece of Coromandel in the said Province and Colony Settler a male adult and Whaka Tai Aboriginal Native also a male adult, and did see Wiremu te Aramoana, Te Aorere, Hera Tiki, Tuaki Pareratua, Eru Mokbngohi and Parakaia Pokaia mentioned and described in the within-written deed duly sign and execute the same.
7.That the signatures Wiremu te Aramoana and Parakia Pokaia are of the proper handwriting of the said Wiremu te Aramoana and Parakaia Pokaia.
8.That I was present with the said Alfred Preece and Whaka Tai and did see Te Aorere, Hera Tiki, Tuaki Pareratua and Eru Mokongohi duly execute the said deed by setting their marks thereto they being illiterate persons.
9.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the names of the said Te Aorere, Hera Tiki, Tuaki Pareratua, and Eru Mokongohi were made by the said lastly mentioned parties in my presence.
10.That immediately before the execution of the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them.
11.That I was present together with Robert Callaway, of Coromandel, in the said Province and Colony, Miner, a male adult, and did see Neri Mahia, Wiremu Netana, Mere Kaimanu, Ihipera Tiki, Mereana Karepe, and Hawea Hokaia, mentioned and described in the within-written deed, duly sign and execute the same.
12.That the signatures Ihipera Tiki and Mereana Karepe are of the proper handwriting of the said Ihipera Tiki and Mereana Karepe.
13.That I was present with the said Robert Callaway, and did see Neri Mahia, Wiremu Netana, Mere Kaimanu, and Hawea Hokaia duly execute the said deed by setting their marks thereto, they being illiterate persons.
14.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the names of the said Neri Mahia, Wiremu Netana, Mere Kaimanu, and Hawea Hokaia were made by the said lastly mentioned parties in my presence.
15.That immediately before the execution of the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them.
16.That I was present together with Alfred Preece, of Coromandel, in the said Province and Colony, Settler, a male adult, and did see Peneamene Kawhena, mentioned and described in the within written deed, duly sign and execute the same.
17.That the signature Peneamene Kawhena is of the proper handwriting of the said Peneamene Kawhena.
18.That immediately before the execution of the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to him into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by him.
19.That I was present together with Te Whatarangi of Wharekawa in the said Province and Colony Aboriginal Native a male adult and did see Karukino te Taniwha mentioned and described in the within written deed duly sign and execute the same.
20.That the signature Karukino te Taniwha is of the proper handwriting of the said Karukino te Taniwha.
21.That immediately before the execution of the said deed I did faithfully interpret the same to her into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by her.
22.That the signatures "J. W. Preece," "J. W. R. Guilding," "Alfred Preece," "Whaka Tai," "Robert Callaway," and Te Whatarangi subscribed to the said deed as those of the attesting witnesses of the due execution thereof by the said parties thereto are of the respective proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding, Alfred Preece, Whaka Tai, Robert Callaway, and Te Whatarangi and of me this declarant.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Native Lands Act 1865 The Native Lands Act 1867 The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1868 The Native Lands Act 1869 The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870 and the Justices of the Peace Act 1866.

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province of Auckland Colony of New Zealand the twenty fifth day of February in the year one thousand eight hundred and seventy three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

page 500

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

I, James Wathen Preece, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1867, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.Declaration of J. W. Preece That I was present together with Phillip Bennett, of Ohinemuri, in the Province and Colony aforesaid, Storekeeper, a male adult, and did see Hunia te Weu, Rangi te Aoria, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
2.That the signatures Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete are of the proper handwriting of the said Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete.
3.That I was present with the said Phillip Bennett and did see Rangi te Aoria duly execute the said Deed by setting her mark thereto, she being an illiterate person.
4.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the name of the said Rangi te Aoria was made by the said Rangi te Aoria.
5.That the signatures "J. W. Preece," "Phillip Bennett," set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed, as witnesses, attesting the due execution thereof, are of.the proper handwriting of the said Phillip Bennett and of me this declarant respectively.
6.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hunia te Weu, Rangi te Aoria, Tupeka, and Hori te Ngatete, I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was understood by the said Hunia te Weu, Tupeka, Rangi te Aoria, and Hori te Ngatete respectively. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland, in theProvince aforesaid, this twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

I, John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland and Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1867," do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.That I was present together with James Mackay the younger, of Shortland, in the Province and Colony aforesaid, Land Agent, a male adult, and Eparaima Kingi, of Ohinemuri, in the Province and Colony aforesaid, aboriginal Native, also a male adult, and did see Ranapia te Ruri, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same.
2.That I was present with the said James Mackay the younger and Eparaima Kingi, and did see Te Ranapia te Ruri duly execute the said deed, by setting his mark thereto, he being an illiterate person.
3.That the mark or cross x set opposite to the name of the said Te; Ranapia te Ruri was made by the said Te Ranapia te Ruri.
4.That the signatures "J. W. R. Guilding," "James Makcey, Jr.," "Eparaima Kingi," set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed as witnesses attesting the due execution thereof, are of the proper handwriting of the said James Mackay the younger, Eparaima Kingi, and of me this declarant respectively.
5.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Te Ranapia te Ruri, I did interpret the same to him into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was understood by the said Te Ranapia te Ruri.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. R. Guilding.

Made and declared at Shortland, the twenty-fifth day of February, in the year one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

Declaration of Wm. Henry Grace. I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the district Hauraki, Province of Auckland, and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1. That I was present together with Kiharoa, of Mangakahia, in the Province and Colony aforesaid, aboriginal Native, of New Zealand, a male adult, and did see Maraea Titiparu, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, execute the said Deed by adhibiting her mark, she being illiterate and unable to write.page 501
2. That the mark "x" set opposite the name of Maraea Titiparu was made by her the said Maraea Titiparu.
3. That the signatures "W. H. Grace," "Na Kiharoa," set and subscribed to the said written Deed as witnesses attesting the due execution thereof, are of the proper handwriting of the said Kiharoa and of me this declarant respectively.
4. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Maraea Titiparu, I did interpret the same to her into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was understood by the said Maraea Titiparu. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H. Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid, this twenty-seventh day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

[Declaration of William Australia Graham]

Declaration of Wm. A. Graham. I, William Australia Graham, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present together with John McFarlane, of Wangapoua, in the said province, Storekeeper, a male adult, and did see Mohi Mangakahia, mentioned and described in the deed of conveyance hereunto annexed marked B, execute the said annexed deed.
2. That the signature Mohi Mangakahia, set and subscribed at the foot of the said deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said Mohi Mangakahia.
3. That I was present with Arthur Footer, of Whitianga, in the said province, bushman, a male adult, and did see Ripeka Rangitokona, Harata Noki Tahura and Taumaha Ruhiana, mentioned and described in the said annexed deed, duly execute the said deed by setting their marks thereto.
4. That the marks "x" set opposite to the names of the said Ripeka Rangitokona, Harata Noki, and Te Tahura, were made by the said Ripeka Harata Noki and Te Tahura respectively.
5. That the signatures John McFarlane, Arthur Footer, and William A. Graham, subscribed to the said deed as that of attesting witnesses, are of the proper handwriting of the said John McFarlane, Arthur Footer, and of me this declarant respectively. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

William A. Graham.

Made and declared at Auckland, in the Province aforesaid, this twenty-first day of March, one thousand eight hundred and seventy three. Before me—

P. A. Philips,
A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

3991d. Received for Registration at 2 p.m., 21st July, 1874.Registraton. (l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 31st, 1874.

Deed Enclosure in No. 371.
Whangamata No. 5. Block (Timber Lease), Hauraki District.

1873. 13 January.Hauraki District.This Deed made the thirteenth day of January One thousand eight hundred and seventy three Between Ruihana Kawhero Rawiri Taiporutu Riria Karepe Hone Mahia Anaru Pahapaha Haora Tupaea Timoti Piritaha Karaitiana Kihau Hemititiparu and Whangamata No V. 5594 stamp duty, 15/and/2/6 fine paid; defaced April 9/73. Hunia Te Weu on behalf of themselves and the persons whose names are entered in the Register in the Native Lands Court under Section. Seventeen of the Native Land one thousand eight hundred and sixty seven as owners of Whangamata Number Five Block all of the District of Hauraki in the Province of Auckland Colony of New Zealand Aboriginal Natives (hereinafter called the said Grantors) of the one part and Richard Seccombe Timber lease to R. Seccombe and Son. and John Carroll Seccombe both of Kyber Pass Auckland in the said Province and Colony Brewers (hereinafter called the said Grantees) of the other part Whereas the page 502said Grantors being the owners of the land hereinafter described have agreed to sell and dispose of to the said Grantees the whole of the forest timber and other trees growing standing being or cut in upon and about the land hereinafter described for the sum of one hundred and Three Pounds and to enable the said Grantees to obtain and use the same They the said Grantors have agreed to execute the Grant and demise hereinafter contained Now This Deed Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of One hundred and Three Pounds paid by the said grantees to the said grantors Receipt for £103. (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) They the said Grantors Do and each and every of them Doth hereby give and grant unto the said grantees their executors Administrators and Assigns All and Singular the Kauri and other Trees timber forest and bush standing growing being or cut in upon or about all that piece or parcel of land situate in the District of Hauraki Province of Auckland Colony of New Zealand being part of block Whangamata Number Five and containing by admeasurement One thousand Boundaries. [1,600 acres.] six hundred acres more or less Bounded towards the North by Whangamata Number One Sixteen thousand two hundred links Towards the East by Whangamata Number Five Fourteen thousand seven hundred links Towards the South by Whangamata number Three Six thousand one hundred links and towards the West by Whangamata Number Five Fourteen thousand links to the point of commencement Together with all the rights easements and appurtenances thereunto belonging Together also with the sole and exclusive right license liberty authority and power to the said Grantees their executors administrators and assigns and their agents and Servants to cut down remove and carry away All Such Kauri timber and. other trees forest and Bush and to make all roads paths and tramways that they may require and to dig and to make saw pits erect saw mills and other buildings and to make Water courses and dams and to have and use exclusively all creeks rivers waters and water courses or streams on and running through the said land and to erect booms and dams thereon and therein And to do all such other Acts matters and things in upon and about the said land as may be desirable or necessary for the obtaining using and removal of the said timber bush Forest and other trees or any of them or any part or parts thereof To hold the said premises unto the said Grantees their executors administrators and assigns absolutely And this deed further witnesseth that for the consideration aforesaid and of the rent hereinafter reserved And only to give effect to the sale license and grant herein before contained They the said Grantors Do and each and every of them Doth hereby demise and lease unto the said Grantees and their executors administrators and assigns All that the piece or parcel of land hereinbefore mentioned and delineated on the plan drawn hereon edged Red To hold the same unto the said Grantees their executors administrators and assigns for during Lease for 21 years. and until the full end and term of Twenty one years from the day of the date hereof fully to be complete.and ended Yielding and paying therefore yearly and every year during the said term the rent or sum of one shilling if and when demanded And the said grantors Do and each and every of them Doth hereby for himself and themselves their and each of their heirs executors and administrators and assigns covenant to and with the said grantees their executors administrators and assigns that notwithstanding any act or thing by them or any or either of them the said grantors done or knowingly to the contrary They the said Grantors Now have good right and title to grant and demise the premises hereby granted and demised and expressed or intended so to be in manner aforesaid and that free from all incumbrances And Also that all and singular the premises hereby granted and demised shall at all times during the said term of Twenty-one years be peaceably and quietly enjoyed by the said grantees their executors administrators and assigns without any let suit hindrance trouble eviction or disturbance whatever of from or by the said Grantors or any or either of them their or either of their heirs executors administrators or assigns or any person or persons lawfully or equitably claiming from or under him or them And also that the said Grantors and each and every of them their and each and every of their heirs successors administrators and assigns and all other persons lawfully or equitably claiming as aforesaid shall and will at all times during the said term of Twenty-one years upon the request and at the cost of the said Grantees their heirs executors administrators and assigns Do and execute or cause to be done and executed all such acts deeds matters and things and assurances for the further or more effectually assuring the premises hereby granted or intended so to be unto the said grantees their executors administrators and assigns in manner aforesaid as shall or may be reasonably required And it is hereby declared and agreed that all the covenants by the lessee implied in every lease under and by virtue of the Twentieth Clause or Section of the said Ordinance shall not be implied in this Deed but the same covenants and powers shall be and the same are hereby expressly negatived In Witness whereof the said parties have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Ruihana Kawhero x his mark. (l.s.)
Rawiri Taiporutu. (l.s.)
Anaru Pahapaha. (l.s.)
Karaitiana Kihau. (l.s.)
Riria Karepe x her mark. (l.s.)
Haora Tupaea. (l.s.)
Hemi Titiparu x his mark. (l.s.)

Signed by the said Ruihana Kawhero, Rawiri Taiporutu, Anaru Pahapaha, Karaitiana Kihau, Riria Karepe, Haora Tupaea, page 503and Hemi Titiparu in the presence of us—

Gerald O'Halloran, Agent, Shortland.
Timoti Piritaha x his mark. (l.s.)

Signed by the said Timoti Piritaha in the presence of us—

Samuel Brenan, Constable A. C. Force, Grahanistown.
Hore Mahi. (l.s.)
HuniaTe Weu. (l.s.)

Signed by the said Huhia Te Weu in the presence of us—

W. H. Grace, Licensed Interpreter, Shortland.
Gerald O'Halloran, Agent, Shortland.

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding

Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. I John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the Province of Auckland, in the Colony of New Zealand, a duly authorised Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare: 1. That I was present together with Gerald O'Halloran, Shortland, in the said Province and Colony, a Land Agent, and did see Rawiri Taiporutu Anaru Pahapaha Karaitiana Kihau and Haora Tupaea, aboriginal Natives mentioned and described in the said Deed within written, duly sign and execute.the same in my presence and in the presence of the said Gerald O'Halloran, a male adult. 2. That the signatures Rawiri Taiporutu, Anaru Pahapaha Karaitiana Kihau and Haora Tupaea, to the said Deed subscribed, are the proper handwriting of the persons immediately hereinbefore mentioned and enumerated. 3. That I was present together with the said Gerald O'Halloran, and did see Ruihana Kawhero, Riria Karepe, and Hemi Titiparu, also mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting their respective marks or cross thereto. 4. That the marks or crosses set opposite to the names of the said Ruihana Kawhero, Riria Karepe, and Hemi Titiparu in the said Deed were made by them in my presence and in the presence of the said O'Halloran. 4. That I was present together with Samuel Brenan, of Grahamstown, a constable in the Armed Constabulary, a male adult, and did see Timoti Peritaha, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the same by adhibiting his mark or cross thereto. 5. That the mark or cross x, set opposite to the name of the. said Timoti Piritaha in the said Deed mentioned, was made by the said Timoti Piritaha in my presence and in the presence of the said Samuel Brenan. 6. That the signatures J. W. R. Guilding, Gerald O'Halloran, and Samuel Brenan, subscribed to the said Deed, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Halloran, Samuel Brenan, and of me, this declarant. 7. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said parties to the said Deed hereinbefore mentioned, I did faithfully interpret the same to them and each of them into the Maori language, and that my translation was correct, and was understood by all of them; and I make this declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," and "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. R.Guilding.

Made and declared at Shortland, in the said Province and Colony, the twenty-fifth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

[Declaration of William Henry Grace

Declaration 1 of W. Hy. Grace. I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the District of Hauraki, Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly Licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows: — 1. That I was present, together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, agent, a male adult, and did see Honi Mahia, mentioned, and described in the within-written Deed, sign and execute the said Deed. 2. That the signature Hone Mahia, set and subscribed to the within-written Deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said Hone Mahia. 3. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hone Mahia, I did interpret the same to him into the Maori language. And my translation thereof was correct, and was understood by the said Hone Mahia. 4. That the signatures W. H. Grace, Gerald O'Halloran, set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed, as witnesses attesting the due execution thereof, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Hallbran and of me this declarant; and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H. Grace.

page 504

Made and declared at Shortland, in the province aforesaid, this twenty-seventh day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for.the Colony of New Zealand.

[Declaration No. 2 of William Henry Grace]

Declaration 2 of W. Hy. Grace I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the District of Hauraki, Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—1. That I was present, together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, agent, a male adult, and did see Hunia te Weu, mentioned and described in the within-written Deed, duly sign and execute the said Deed. 2. That the signature Hunia te Weu, set and described to the said within-written Deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said Hunia te Weu. 3. That the signatures W. H. Grace and Gerald O'Halloran, set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Halloran and of me this declarant respectively. 4. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hunia te Weu I did interpret the same to him into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct, and was understood by the said Hunia te Weu. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H.Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland in the province aforesaid, this twenty-seventh day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,

Auckland, 11th June, 1873.
Registrar's certificate. I hereby certify that the duty payable under the Native Lands Acts on the within lease amounts to ten pounds six shillings and tenpence in one payment on rent and premiums, and a further sum of fifteen shillings and elevenpence "annually" for survey duty. 73/71.

Geo. B. Davy,
Regr. of Deeds.

[Receipt]

Receipt for £11 . 2 . 9. Received the above-named sum of ten pounds six shillings and tenpence, and first annual payment of fifteen shillings and elevenpence. Auckland, 20th June /73.

Daniel Pollen,
Sub-Treasurer.

[Trust commissioner's certificate]

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries. Dated this 7th day of November, 1873.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commissioner.

The Deeds Register Office,
Auckland, 17th July, 1875.
Registrar's certificate. I hereby certify that the foregoing is a correct copy, excepting the plan of the Timber Lease, numbered 3639d, the same having been examined with the record copy thereof in Volume D7, page 446.

M. Hamilton,
Dep, Regr. of Deeds.
(Registrar, Auckland.)

A true transcript of Certified Copy of Lease, Declarations, and Certificates.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, November 11th, 1875.