Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Henry Grace

[Declaration of William Henry Grace

Declaration 1 of W. Hy. Grace. I, William Henry Grace, of Shortland, in the District of Hauraki, Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly Licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows: — 1. That I was present, together with Gerald O'Halloran, of Shortland aforesaid, agent, a male adult, and did see Honi Mahia, mentioned, and described in the within-written Deed, sign and execute the said Deed. 2. That the signature Hone Mahia, set and subscribed to the within-written Deed, is of the proper handwriting of the said Hone Mahia. 3. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Hone Mahia, I did interpret the same to him into the Maori language. And my translation thereof was correct, and was understood by the said Hone Mahia. 4. That the signatures W. H. Grace, Gerald O'Halloran, set and subscribed to the said within-written Deed, as witnesses attesting the due execution thereof, are of the proper handwriting of the said Gerald O'Hallbran and of me this declarant; and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

W. H. Grace.

page 504

Made and declared at Shortland, in the province aforesaid, this twenty-seventh day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, Before me—

E. W. Puckey,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for.the Colony of New Zealand.