Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of Jas. Wathen Preece.I James Wathen Preece of Auckland in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand a duly Licensed Interpreters under the Native Lands Act 1865 The Native Lands Act 1867 The Native Lands Act Amendment Act l868 The Native Lands Act l869 and the Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870 do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.That I was present together with Henry Thornton Rowe of Shorthand in the province and colony Licensed Surveyor a male adult and did see Te Karauna Hou Miriama Pehi Puknkauri Peneamene Tanui and Hori Kerei Tuokioki all mentioned and described on the Within Written Deed duly sign and execute the said Deed.
2.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding of Shortland a duly Licensed Native Interpreter and did see Taupo Waitai Nikora Tuamata Erueti Ngakoke Tamati Kaiuta Nikorima Poutotara and Te Whareputu all mentioned and described on the said within written Deed duly sign and execute the said deed.
3.That the Signatures Karauna Hou Erueti Ngakoki Tamati Kaiuta Peneamene Tainui and Nikorima a Poutotara respectively set and subscribed to the said within written deed are of the proper handwriting of the said Karauna Hou Erueti Ngakohi Tamati Kaiuta Peneamene Tanui and Nikorima Poutotara respectively
4.That the marks "x" "x" "x" "x" "x" respectively set and affixed to the said within written deed were made and affixed by the said Taupo Waitai Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Nikora Tuamata Te Whareputu and Hori Kerei Tuokioki respectively.
4.That the signatures J. W. Preece, Henry T. Rowe, J. W. Preece, J. W. R. Guilding, J. W. Preece, J. W. R. Guilding respectively set and subscribed to the said within written deed as the Witnesses attesting the due execution thereof are of the proper handwriting of the said Henry Thornton Rowe John William Richard Guilding and me this declarant respectively.
6.That immediately before the execution of the said within written deed by the said parties as aforesaid I did interpret the same into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by the said parties.
page 491

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the above named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand and of a certain other Act of the said General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid this twenty-fifth day of February One the thousand eight hundred and seventy three Before me E. W. Puckey one of Her Majesty Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand. I hereby certify that the first annual payment of duty in respect of this land has been paid.

F. D. FentonChief Judge.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I Theodore Minet Haultain the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act 1870" for the District of Auckland do hereby certify that I have with respect to the within written instrument and the alienation thereby Witnessed made the inquiries directed by the said Act and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries. Dated this 27th day of July, 1874.

T. M Haultain, Trust Commissioner.
The Deeds Register Office, Auckland,

July 17th, 1875. Registrar's certificate. I hereby certify that the foregoing is a correct copy of the Grant and Demise Numbered 3929d the same having been examined with the Record copy thereof in Volume D.7 page 642.

M. Hamilton, Dep. Regr of Deeds. (Registrar Auckland.)

A True Transcript of certified Copy of Original Lease, Declarations, and Certificate.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, November 22nd, 1875.