Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

Declaration of Wm. Henry Grace. I William Henry Grace of Shortland in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand a duly Licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act, 1865 The Act 1869 and the Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870 or some one or more of them do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding of Shortland aforesaid Land Agent a male adult and did see Matuku and Anaru Matahau described in the within written Deed and therein mentioned sign seal execute and deliver the said Deed and also sign the plan annexed thereto and hereto and marked A being the plan of the Opango block mentioned and referred to in the said within written Deed.
2.That the signature Matuku set and subscribed to the said within written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto is of the proper handwriting of the said Matuku and that the mark "x" set and subscribed to the said within written. Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto was made by the said Anaru Matahau and that the Seals set opposite to the said signatures in the said within written Deed were affixed by them thereto respectively.
3.That the signatures W. H. Grace J. W. R. Guilding set and subscribed to the said within written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof respectively are of the respective proper handwriting of the said John Richard William Guilding and me this declarant respectively.
4.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed and plan by the said parties as aforesaid I did interpret the same to them into the Maori languages and page 487explained to them in the Maori language that the plan annexed thereto and hereto was the plan mentioned and referred to in the said Deed and my translation and explanation thereof was correct and understood by the said parties so signing sealing executing and delivering as aforesaid.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the above mentioned Aets of the General Assembly of New Zealand and of a certain Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act 1866."

W. H. Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid this Twenty-first day of September one thousand eight hundred seventy-two Before me—

W. Fraser, Resident Magistrate, One of Her Majesty's Justices of Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand