Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

[Declaration of William Henry Grace]

Declaration of Wm. Henry Grace. I William Henry Grace of Shortland in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act 1865 "The Native Lands Act 1867" "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1868" "The Native Lands Act 1869" and the Native Lands Act Amendment Act 1870" or some or more of them do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with John William Richard Guilding of Shortland aforesaid Land Agent a male adult and did see Matuku and Anaru Matahau mentioned and described in the within written Deed sign and execute the said deed
2.That the signature "Matuku" set and subscribed to the within written deed is of the proper handwriting of the said Matuku and that the mark "x" set and subscribed to the within written deed was made by the said Anaru Matahau.
3.That the signatures "W. H. Grace" and "J. W. R. Guilding" set and subscribed to the within written deed as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof respectively are of the respective proper handwriting of the said John William Richard Guilding and me this declarant respectively.
4.That immediately before the execution of the said deed by the said parties as aforesaid I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language and my translation thereof was correct and was understood by the said parties signing and executing as aforesaid.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the above mentioned Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand and of a certain act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act 1866."

W. H. Grace.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid this Twenty first day of September one thousand eight hundred and seventy two Before me—

W. Fraser, R.M.,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.