Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Return of the Correspondence signed or, Purporting to be signed by William Thompson te Waharoa, etc.

[translation]

[corresponding (en, en)]

[translation]

Friend, the Commander of the Forces,—

Pukerangiore, 13th March, 1861.

The cause of my holding (ceasing) hostilities these two days is that I might make known my "korero" to the General. On this one day I spoke my words to them. The cause of my coming here was to put an end to the war. I made my words openly known to them, and they unanimously agreed to what I said. The cause of that word of mine was the Governor's word, that the Maoris must make peace. I came therefore to Te Rangitake, to the head of my party. This was his word the Maoris must make peace. This was Te Rangitake's word to me,—Yes, when Waitara comes back to me then only will I make peace; and the soldiers also must go back to Waitaki. Let the Waikatos go back to Waikato, Te Rangitake to stay on the parts which have not been fought upon, and leave. Waitara open in the care of the law. This is why it should be left to the care of the law, that we may wait for a word from the head of the great Runanga of the Queen. If she says we are to dive we will dive, and if she says we are to rise to the surface, we will rise. Enough. If you agree write me, that I may know whether you are for or against it.

To the Commander of the Forces.

From Wi Tamihana Te Waharoa.