Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Return of the Correspondence signed or, Purporting to be signed by William Thompson te Waharoa, etc.

[Translation.] — Wi T. Waharoa, to Mr. Bell

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

[Translation.]
Wi T. Waharoa, to Mr. Bell.

To Mr. Bell,—

Matamata, 15th June, 1863.

Salutations to you, the mediator between the Maori and the Pakeha. Friend, I have received your newspaper (Circular letter) of the 4th May, about the death of the Pakehas at Taranaki. When I received it, I was at the mouth of Waikato, at Taupari, Waata Kukutai's kamga. I saw your newspaper (saying) the death of the Pakehas was murder. Waata said to me, "What do you think?" I replied, "Friend, I do not know about calling this a murder, but I will wait till I get letter from Ngatiruanui; perhaps they had a cause for their anger." Sufficient. I returned to Tamahere, and received the letters from Ngatiruanui. I saw their letters, which said: It was interference by the Governor in making the road; 2ndly. Putting up the post at the Okurukuru boundary; 3rd. Making the road through the unsold land. Those were the causes which I discovered in their letter. I am perplexed between you and them. Friend, do not say that I am double-minded; no, it is perplexity; that is the cause of my saying nothing. These thoughts are finished.

I urge, however, that Tataraimaka be given to the Governor. I went to Rangiaohia, to Taati and his parents (to ask him) to give up Tataraimaka to the Governor. They agreed. Then Wi Kingi Rangitake, and Rewi, and Reihana, were told. They did not consent to give back Tataraimaka. That lot were very stubborn. Sufficient of that. Do you hearken; my thoughts have not decided whether you are right or Ngatiruanui, whether to sit still or get up (for peace or war). If it is decided that it is murder there is an end of it. If there was cause there will be war. Sufficient.

From your friend,

Wi. T. Waharoa.

Do not be neglectful in writing to me the news of these times; write whether there is death or life, good or evil. It ends.